twenty

Indigo left my house not too long after, leaving me with a thousand questions running through my shocked mind.

What she'd told me was crazy, and I didn't know what to do with that chilling piece of information. Just a week before, my life was going on mostly normally, now, I'd discovered that my best friend had murdered someone and concealed a body with the help of my other best friend and two of my friends, and was now threatening to kill said best friend, the remaining one of my friends - that had also passed on information that had led to my other friend's death - and the guy I'd just started seeing. It was a complete mess, and I couldn't help but wonder what my role should've been in that huge mess. Was I supposed to pretend nothing had happened? Was I supposed to go to the police? It wouldn't have really been my place to do that - after all, I only knew what I'd been told.

I felt stuck. I didn't feel like I could do either of those things. But I also didn't know what to do, if not that. One thing I knew, Harry was the only one with at least a bit of common sense in the group. If only it would've been enough.

I sighed and took my phone, unable to resist the urge to call Harry. It just felt like the best thing to do in that moment. After all, I'd only found out the truth thanks to him, and while now I wasn't sure it was a good thing anymore, it'd been exactly what I'd wanted. In that sense, Harry had been on my side since the start. I just wished he could've shed some light on what would've happened next, because I had no idea of what to say, or how to act.

It was scary. I knew I would've been in danger if Joel had found out I knew, but how could I act as if nothing had ever happened after discovering what he'd done? I wished I could've just taken another break, but that would've been way too suspicious.

I felt lost. Indigo had told me the truth, but she'd left me without as little as a word about what I should've done, or said next. How was I supposed to figure it out on my own, when a single wrong step could've led to disastrous consequences?

Without thinking twice I searched for Harry's name in the list of my contacts and I pressed on it, calling him and quickly pressing it to my ear, hoping that he would answer fast.

He didn't make me wait for a long time, and picked up at the third ring. "Raine?" He said, confused, his voice seeming gentler on the phone.

"Harry" I replied quickly, "can you come here?" I couldn't tell why I was asking him, of all people, to come to my house. I could've surely called Indigo again and asked her to stay, but for some reason I didn't want to spend time with her, and I wasn't entirely sure it only had to do with what she'd told me. Part of me wanted to feel safe, figure itself out, and for some reason I'd convinced myself that the only way I could've done that was with Harry.

He hesitated, and for a second I imagined him biting his lower lip on the other side of the call, trying to make a decision. "I don't think that's a good idea" he then said, and I couldn't stop a wave of worry to wash over me. He was the only one that could've helped me to make sense of it all, the only one I wanted to spend time with. I didn't want to be alone in that moment.

"Please" I begged, immediately hating myself for it. I wasn't the kind of person that ever begged in order to get something, and I knew that if we were in another situation Harry would've surely commented on that as well. "Please, Harry."

For a few seconds there was only silence, one that was heavier than usual. Then I heard him sigh. "I'll be there in twenty" he said quietly, not waiting for me to say anything before closing the call.

I nodded to myself, attempting to check the time on my phone but just ending up staring at the black screen when I forgot to unlock it. It really was screwed up. It didn't happen often that I came across situations that just couldn't be fixed in my life, and that was surely one of those. It was scary, even. How was I supposed to trust the people around me, after discovering something like that?