xxiii. the mall rats

chapter twenty-three
the mall rats

  WAKING UP NEXT TO Max Mayfield was always something that got Rue's heart pounding a little faster than she'd like to admit.

 She awoke to soft sheets and the morning light trickling in through the blinds. Sadly shedding herself from the remaining glimpses of a great dream, her eyes stayed shut as she soaked in the warmth of the covers before letting her green eyes see the sun's rays.

 As Rue turned to face her other side, her breath caught at her throat when she spotted Max's blue eyes already staring at her. Max beamed when she saw Rue was awake. "Morning, sleepyhead," she teased, lifting one arm to prop her head upon her hand as she smiled at Rue's half-asleep figure.

 Rue hummed, slithering closer to Max. She was warm and soft and very welcoming. 

 Max laughed as Rue clung to her. She raised a hand to run it through Rue's hair, which spread across her pillow in its amber strands like a halo. She carefully untangled knots she found while lazily twirling small locks between her fingers.

 "What do you wanna do today?" Rue asked, her voice mumbled as she rested her head at the croak of Max's neck.

 "Hmm," Max murmured, thinking. "Do you want to go to the pool again?"

 Rue groaned, pulling away from Max and laying back on the pillow again. "Pass. . . what if we just stayed here?" she asked.

 "Here?"