Part 25

A long table had been set, groaning under the weight of hundreds of dishes. My mouth watering, I waited impatiently for a groomsman to show me to my seat. Surprisingly, he led me to the opposite end of the table, far away from the King and Queen.

I would have thought she would want me nearby. A stray thought crossed my mind and unconsciously I found myself looking towards the Queen. Her face was red with irritation as she argued quietly with her husband, a finger pointing in my direction.

Ah. So it wasn't her idea. I felt relieved at this, before pushing the emotion away. Meeting the Queen's gaze, I shook my head slowly, letting her know I was okay with where I was sitting. After all, Ronan and Edith were sitting on that end of the table. At least I could eat in peace here. The Queen looked frustrated, but finally nodded her assent and the banquet started.

The food was delicious. As I happily tried different dishes, Nate who sat to my right leaned over with a smile. "Which ones are your favorite?"

I indicated the preferred dishes with a quick gesture of my utensils, and he chuckled. "Noted. Next time I'll make you dishes similar to those."

I swallowed the bite of food in my mouth. "Really? You can even make dishes like these?" Previously, after the incident with the debt he had kept his word and made me a simple stew at my request, which had been delicious, but this food seemed much more complicated.

Nate's confident smile didn't waver. "I can make it even better."

"Then I would be glad to try." At my simple answer he looked extremely happy, barely touching any more of the meal on his plate as he excitedly discussed different foods he would like to make.

As we spoke, a servant stepped between me and Henry who sat on my left, and poured wine into my glass. Feeling thirsty I started to reach out to grab my glass...

Only to stop as Henry pinched my elbow.

"Don't drink that wine!" He hissed quietly, not looking up from his plate.

I reached out and grabbed my wine glass, pretending to take a sip. The wine looked normal, the only difference I could sense was a slightly floral aroma. I set the wine down and continued my meal, every muscle in my body tensed.

"What's wrong with it?" I asked quietly, pretending to eat.

Henry shook his head, his eyes filled with anger. "There's dissolved Gentle root in your drink. I smelled it when the servant poured it just now."

I raised an eyebrow. "A poison?"

"Of sorts." He stabbed his food with his knife, obviously trying to hide his rage. "It will confuse the senses, simulating drunkenness, and then render you unconscious."

"..." I thought over the ramifications of that, my face going pale.

I was staying in the palace tonight.

What was the one way the King had left to force a marriage between the prince and I, a way that would tie me with iron clad chains to his son?

I clenched my hands in my lap, so tightly I could feel the bones creaking under the pressure. I lifted the glass again, using the moment as I pretended to drink to examine the rest of the room. The Queen and Edith were talking, although neither looked happy at the moment. The King sat there silently, paying no attention to me. Ronan however... He glanced over frequently in my direction, a smirk playing across his features as he saw me drinking the wine.

My stomach rolling, I set down the wine glass once more, this time very close to Nate's glass.

"What's wrong?" Nate whispered, pretending to eat as usual.