Chapter 3 A Walking Joke

Crush On Mr. Bad Boy

Chapter 3 A Walking Joke

   "Yes mother! I'll be right there!" I hollered back.

   "Just tell her about the braces-"

   I interrupted her before she could finish the sentence. "She won't approve."

   "Who cares if she approves or not?"

   "She's my step mom and my only guardian present right now, she has the right to tell me what to do." I sighed.

   "Not in my book." Kasay looked me straight in the eye. "She treats you like her puppet."

   I glared hard at her. "Get out."

   "Are you on your monthly or something?" I glared at her harder before she finally threw both her hands in the air. "Don't kill me, I'm too young to die, I'm leaving." And with that, she left. I felt bad for snapping at her, but she had no right telling me how I was being treated.

    I sighed as I made my way downstairs. I hated how controlling my step mother was, but I couldn't do anything about it. Deep down inside, I knew Kasay was right, but I wouldn't dare say that to anyone.

   "Rosie." My step mother greeted with a cold smile. "I have great news to tell you." Gee, sure didn't seem like it. "I have been offered a new job with Mr. Spencer, and I heard he goes to your school." My ears perked up at the name. Mr. Spencer? Did she mean Axel? I covered up my curiosity by keeping my shoulders sagged. "No congratulations?" She questioned. She was going to snap if I didn't say it.

   "Congratulations." I mumbled.

   "That's more like it." She replied snippily. "So how was your day?" The question I dreaded came out of her mouth. When I didn't reply, she sighed. "Let's go talk in the study."

   I followed her into the study and slumped into her 'patient' chair. She sat at her desk, observing every move I made closely. "You had a bad day." She stated.

   "No shit," I grumbled, low enough she didn't hear.

   "What was that?"

   "Nothing mam'." I lied smoothly.

   "Tell me, what happened." I shook my head in reply as I stared at the empty space between us. "That wasn't a question, that was an order." She snapped. "Now tell me what happened." 

   "I'm tired."

   "Then go to bed early." 

   "No, I'm tired of being like this." This time, I stood up and stared down at her ice cold chocolate brown eyes.

   "Like what?" She raised both eyebrows at me.

   "Like this!" I gestured towards my body.

   "Don't raise your voice at me." She stared me straight in the eyes. "And I don't see anything wrong with how you look. There's nothing wrong with being the way you are."

   "I don't want to be this way," I gestured towards my geeky clothes.

   "You don't want to be yourself?"

   "This isn't myself!"

   "Don't raise your voice." She growled. "We shall work through this together."

   I groaned out of frustration. "You've said that every other time I came to you with this problem! I don't want to be viewed as the school's 'nerd' anymore!"

   Her lips pressed into a firm straight line. "How can I help?"

   "I want to remove my braces."