Chapter 23

Alex was drawing the Plants in his room while Freddy took a short nap in his room and Josie sat in her room to do whatever she was doing; she didn't really specify.

After a while, Alex heard some noise coming from her room. Curious, he left his room and snuck towards hers. He quietly opened the door and took a peek inside.

He saw Josie on the bed, looking at what appeared to be a photo album. It wasn't something he had ever seen in the house before.

"Hello?" Alex called out. Josie suddenly looked up from the album with shock.

"Oh, hi," she said nervously. "You scared me."

"Sorry."

"It's fine..."

More awkward silence.

"So, what are you looking at?" Alex asked.

"It's nothing..."

"Then is there a problem with letting me see?"

"...I guess not..."

Alex then walked to the bed and took the album from Josie. He instantly saw pictures of her and her parents together all over the page. There were some from when Josie was in the musical, when they went to Florida for spring break, and even some from her 17th birthday party.

He flipped the page and saw pictures from many years ago. There were a few from them in Dallas when she was 10, and even one of her at Chuck-E-Cheese when she was 5.

"Where'd this come from?" Alex asked her.

"From my house," she replied quietly. "When I was on patrol, I went to my house and took it."

"I didn't know you went back to your house!"

"Well, I didn't see a reason in mentioning it."

Alex then looked back at the album and looked at more pictures.

"Hey, I didn't know your parents had tattoos!" He suddenly told her.

He then pointed to a picture from when the Deacons went to Wisconsin Dells 3 years ago. Sure enough, both of her parents had matching tattoos on their shoulders of a white rose.

"Yeah, they got those on their honeymoon," Josie explained. "I think the white was to show the purity of their love and the roses were their love itself. I'm not entirely sure."

"Well, they look pretty cool."

"Thanks."

"I could never get a tattoo. I hate needles!"

"I'd only get one if it was symbolic to me, like my parents'."

"I suppose so."

They then looked through the photos together. Alex had seen some of these before, but others were new to him, including one of Josie dressed as a kitten for Halloween. She looked about 9.

"Do you think they're still alive?" Josie suddenly asked. Alex looked at her with confusion.

"Who? Your parents?" He asked. She slowly nodded in response.

"I...I'm not sure," he finally replied. "There's no proof that they are OR aren't."

"That's what's bugging me..."

Alex then reached over and hugged her tightly. She started shaking, as if she was about to cry.

"Well, whether they're alive or not, they'd want you to survive. They love you."

"I know...and I love them."

"Then that's all that matters."

"Maybe you're right..."