Chapter Ninety-Seven | Third World

[ 97 ]

With the lack of rain, it hindered a large part of the soldier's plans. They couldn't guarantee that the Advanced Rotters would all be in one place, and by splitting up and searching, it made every turning of a corner an anxious one.

But as ever the resourceful types, another plan was promptly set in motion. One which allowed all the soldiers to remain within the confines of the fortified vehicles, for the time being, not needing to take a step over the bridge, which stretched over the extensive dam. Instead, that became the job of their new recruit; a mangled corpse.

There was nothing like a bit of experimentation while on the front-lines. For the unfortunate soul who was about to undergo it, it was less than appealing. Especially when Jakob had to reluctantly touch an area of the Rotter in order to activate his ability. It was all done relatively swiftly, with Hansel following along as a medical presence. He, along with the Commander, leapt forward when the tall blond's body suddenly went 'lights-out'.

Opposite them, there was clarity within the Rotter's stained eyes. Then they gradually turned a strange blue. It flooded across both of them, practically lighting them up— and then suddenly, the meat-bag jolted. As if flipping on a switch, the Rotter was responsive once again.

"Ah uhhghar.." The grumbling reverberated up the creatures throat and through its partially-missing mouth. For those standing around, it made absolutely no sense. But they took the sign of the Rotter not attacking them, as a successful transference.

"Jakob?" Hansel tested and the Rotter's head snapped and cracked as it turned to face him. The sounds made both Niklas and him wince.

"Arrh.."

"I'll..take that as a yes." Hansel couldn't help but scrunch his face at the stench. Decomposing flesh wasn't one he was going to choose as his next candle scent, but he tried to bare with it while the Commander gave the Rotter a pep talk. Meanwhile, Jakob's actual body was slumped entirely onto Hansel. He huffed at the sheer weight, but was satisfied to feel the steady but strong thumping of the man's ticker.

Afterwards, as they made their way back to the van, Hansel found himself looking back over his shoulder. He locked eyes with the Rotter, who stood alone and vulnerable. A bit of his intestines hanging out here and there.

Upon their eyes meeting, the Rotter slowly but surely lifted his hand. Like the movements of a sloth, a thumb was gradually propped up. Then it broke off and fell to the ground with a slight bounce.

"Pffft!" Hansel almost choked.

While they proceeded to secure themselves in the vehicle, lugging Jakob's sleeping body in as well, the Rotter standing outside now looked around. When the van's door was shut and locked, it signalled the beginning of the alternative mission.

Albeit, it was slow initially. More specifically, the Rotter Jakob now controlled. It half tripped its way back over to the bridge, moving in and out of the cars that had been left abandoned. He didn't have to put on an act, as his physical restraints kept him in character. With every step, he grunted. It wasn't by choice, it was more so because of various gaping holes in his body which allowed air to pass through.

When he reached the other side, which felt like a huge milestone, the Rotter turned its head slowly left and then right. Remembering the route Jakob had taken on the previous mission, he started dragging his new feet along. All while failing to be remotely stealthy.

Even for someone as somewhat mentally challenged as Jakob, the task of moving round a city with very limited physical capabilities, was unnerving. Especially when there was a chance he could be killed before relinquishing control of his mask. But as ever the psychotic optimist, Jakob continued to slug around corners.