PROLOGUE

Sitting back down in my seat after getting back from the vending machine for some strawberry milk to go with my lunch, my friend Miu turns her chair around to face my desk and leans in towards me with a glint in her eye.

     "So, (N/N), you're still the only one of us who hasn't shared who she's crushing on. So spill it." Miu puts her hands on my desk, beckoning our other two friends, Saya and Kiyoko over for the supposed tea. "Is it Amamiya? Or even Kusuo?"

     "Maybe it's Watanabe? His eyes are really pretty..." Saya sighed, placing her hand to her cheek.

     "No way, it's gotta be Tanaka, there isn't a girl who hasn't had a crush on him at one point or another." Kiyoko fidgets with a section of her hair, sitting on the desk next to mine.

     "Guys enough, really, it's no one okay? We're almost third years. We should be focusing on our studies so we can prepare for high school entrance exams next year..." placing the lid back onto my lunch, I pack it away back into my bag, appetite lost. Ignoring Miu's mutter of 'bookworm,' I continued, "Besides, the school doesn't allow us to have relationships anyways, so why does it matter if I like someone or not?"

     "(N/N), you're such a spoil sport!" Miu whines and places her head down onto my desk, looking up at me with exasperation. "It matters because then you can try and get into the same high school as him, and you can start dating whoever it is then! Anyways, every girl has to have at least someone she likes!" 

     Activating my quirk, I gently push Miu back up off of my desk and into a regular sitting position. "Look, your false, overly generalized statement aside, I just don't have the time to even think about dating anyone, let alone trying to revolve my entire scholastic future around some silly crush I may or may not have, that will most likely die out within two months at most." I knew I was being overly cynical, but there wasn't any other way I'd get Miu to drop the subject.

     It wasn't that I didn't have a crush on anyone, but I knew I had to stay focused on my goals of getting top grades and eventually get accepted into my first choice high school, UA. It was my biggest dream to be a rescue hero ever since I was eight.

     Just as Miu was about to get the others to join her on pestering me for further information, she was interrupted by a student walking up to our group, with a clearly nervous sounding "Hey." Looking to see who it was, I felt my face heat up slightly as I was met with a nearly unruly mess of straw blond hair, donning an unmistakable black streak.

     "Oh, hey Kaminari, what brings you over here?" Taking care that my face wasn't betraying the thudding of my heart hammering in my chest, I took a breath and mentally shook the blush from my cheeks. "Is something up?"

    "Y-yeah actually, I was wondering if I could uh, maybe talk to you out in the hall for a moment? If that's alright with you, that is?" His hands switching between being shoved into his pockets, running through his  hair, and fidgeting with his fingers were all the clues I needed to tell that he was worried about something. He probably needed help with homework or an assignment again, but was too worried to ask for help in front of others.

     "Yeah! Not a problem at all!" I smiled and began to stand up, looking to Miu and the others, offering a slight wave "I'll be right back guys, okay?"

     Met with a chorus of 'sure' 'yeah' and 'okay,' I headed into the hall, and towards the stairwell to the first floor, where Kaminari was waiting, hands still fidgeting.

     Standing before him, I place my hands together and smile, "Okay, what's up Kaminari? I'm all ears!" I rock back onto my heels and await his response.

     "H-hey, listen (L/N), I've got to tell you something real important, and I want you to promise to hear me out all the way through and not laugh, o-okay?" His topaz eyes looking around nervously, he sighs and continues once I nod to him. "Here goes... (L/N), I like you. Like, I like you. You're just really sweet, caring, and crazy smart... you're really pretty and your smile just lights up any room you're in, a-and I can't help having developed feelings for you..."

    Well, this declaration came as a shock. Sure, we'd been good friends since the entrance ceremony at the beginning of the year, but I wasn't expecting this.

     "So, please (L/N)! I know you're way out of my league, but Please consider going out with me!" The blond boy bowed, holding his hands together above his head. Seeing him in this position, I can't help but try and stifle a laugh. Reaching for his arms, I guide him back to a normal upright position, seeing his face almost entirely engulfed in red.

     "Listen, I... Kaminari... you're really sweet and I'd really, really like to, I would... but, it's against our school rules for students to be in relationships. You know that don't you?" Keeping a hand placed on his arm, I use my free hand to fiddle with the end of my ribbon tie.

   "Yeah, I know... I just figured I'd give it a shot, y'know?" Kaminari steps away, giving me a finger gun, and rubs the back of his neck, embarrassed by the rejection. He begins to walk away, throwing a small wave towards me. "Thanks for hearing me out at least, sorry to bother you while you were with your frien-"

     I interrupt him by grabbing the back of his jacket, stopping him from leaving, "BUT- that doesn't mean I wouldn't love to hang out with you, and get to know you even more..." my cheeks flushed, I look up at him trying to convey that I wasn't turning him down because I didn't like him, but rather because of the rules in place. "Maybe this Saturday? At an arcade or park?"

     Almost as if a switch had been flipped, he turns back around and grabs my hands, beaming, "Really? That sounds perfect! Okay if we meet at the station around noon?" He nearly seemed to be bouncing with happiness and I smiled back at him.

     "Yes, sounds good! I should get back to my friends for now, though. They're probably wondering why I'm taking so long." I offer one last squeeze to his hands before heading back into the classroom, where I was nearly immediately met with Miu and the others. Grabbing me by my arms, Miu and Kiyoko practically dragged me back down the hall and into the girls bathroom, Saya following behind.

    "Spill it! Did you really just agree to spend Saturday with that overpowered hand buzzer? Everyone knows he's just a dumb horn dog." Miu laughs and crosses her arms. I can feel my face turn red. I really didn't want her to find out about my crush, since there would be no end in sight of all the mocking and teasing I'd receive from her and subsequently the other two as well. "Don't tell me you actually like him, (N/N)??"

     "Hey, Miu listen it's-" I start, but she interrupts me with a smirk on her face

     "That can't be it, can it? Oh I know! You were only pretending to make plans with him, and your actually planning on standing him up and making a fool out of him, right? That's brilliant, (N/N)!" Miu lets out a laugh and doubles over, clapping. Unable to say anything once she set her mind on a plan for someone else's misery, I simply shrugged, hoping she'd forget about it by Saturday so I could enjoy my day out.

     But as luck would have it, she remembered the plan she pushed upon me and made sure to impede me following through with my actual plan by showing up around eleven with Saya and Kiyoko, telling my parents that they had a girls day planned. They kept me busy all day, and made sure I couldn't reach out to Kaminari and tell him what happened, making it seem like I had stood him up.

     The following Monday at school, I tried to talk to him and explain why I hadn't shown up or even reached out to him, but he wouldn't talk to me and didn't even acknowledge my existence. He honestly looked broken, and that killed me. Expressing to Miu and the others that I genuinely felt horrible about what happened only made them laugh and begin to cut me out of the group and treat me horribly. Upset, I practically spent the rest of middle school focusing solely on my studies. The guilt of knowing I hurt someone I cared deeply about had caused me to began to isolate myself from others. My 'friends' making me feel worse and abandoning me only further cemented my withdrawal from social life.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

****Hello! This is my first xReader fic, and I'd love some feedback, since I don't feel my pacing is great at all ;~;
Sorry the prologue is so long, and it's only a flashback at this point... I promise I'll try my best and get better at writing!! ****🙏🙏