Chapter 8

Saturday morning I woke up, feeling refreshed. I got a text message from Rachel not too long after. It read:

Hey, wanna go to the mall with me, Haley, and Thomas?

I rubbed the sleepiness out of my eyes and began typing back:

Sure. Why is Haley going though?

She texted me that she was bored and I offered if she wanted to go.

I didn't know that Haley and Rachel knew each other.

Oh, I texted back.

I was originally going to have my dad pick us all up, but Haley insisted that she would.

Guess that's cool then. I'm gonna get ready.

Okay, I'll see you soon.

I put my phone down and checked the clock; 10:27

I hopped out of bed and went to let my dog out in the backyard so he could do his business.

Then I got in the shower. After I finished and dried myself off, I put on some casual clothes and let my dog back in the house. I brushed my teeth and fixed my hair into a ponytail. I applied a little mascara and concealer, and by that time it was already 11:34.

I waited around the house and finally, at 12:04, I saw a little black jeep pull into my driveway.

I said goodbye to my dad and walked out to Haley's car. Rachel was in the passenger seat and Thomas was in the back, smiling.

"Hey guys," I said.

"Hey there, Miss. Brooke," Thomas said.

"Heyyy," Rachel said, turning her head to face me.

"Hi there," Haley spoke quietly.

I hopped in the seat next to Thomas, and we were off.

For the first 5 minutes of the drive, it was pretty quiet. I decided to break the silence.

"So which mall are we going to?"

Haley looked at me in the rearview mirror and replied, "Best one in the city."

I sat back in my seat, still not knowing where the heck we were going. Haley must've thought I caught on, because she didn't say anything else.

Finally we arrived at a huge building that had multiple other units. The largest building in the middle had a big sign that said, 'Northway Mall'.

I got out of the car and started heading towards the place, Thomas at my left side and Rachel at my right. Haley was in the front, guiding us like lost children.

"So where do you guys wanna go first?" Rachel said as soon as we entered the mall.

Thomas shoved his hands in his pockets and replied, "Anywhere you guys want to go."

I agreed, "I don't really care either."

Rachel turned to Haley, who seemed to be deep in thought.

"Haley? Anywhere you want to go?" Rachel asked.

"Hmm, I got nothing. BUT I was thinking maybe we could watch a movie!"

Rachel tried to look as understanding as possible, but I knew she was a little disappointed. I know she wasn't planning for a movie.

"Ok. Which one?"

"Annabelle!" Haley exclaimed, making me and Thomas jump.

I did not like horror movies. Whatsoever. I gave Rachel an alarming look.

"Um are you sure?" Rachel said, looking a little scared herself, then she looked towards me, "Some of us don't like scary movies."

Haley didn't look phased. "Of course I'm sure!" she yelled again. She turned her head towards me. "You don't have to watch it with us Brooke," She then pointed towards Rachel and Thomas. "We can just go watch it and you can wait out here!"

Thomas stepped up. "No bloody way. If Brooke waits out here, then so do I."

Haley crossed her arms and smirked. "Fine," she joined hands with Rachel and skipped off towards the ticket booth. "You guys are going to regret not coming!"

I wrapped my arms around Thomas and he kissed my forehead.

"You didn't have to stay here with me," I said.

"Eh, don't worry about. I'm not a big fan of horror movies either," he said into my neck, his warm breath making my spine shiver.

We sat on a nearby bench and just enjoyed each others presence. Eventually I lay down and put my head on his lap. I heard his stomach grumble and I looked up at him.

"Someone hungry?"

He looked down, "A little."

I got up and pulled him to his feet.

"Come on, let's go get food," I said, dragging him behind me.

We walked over to the food courts section and I spotted a Taco Bell.

I pointed towards it, "How about there?"

"Sure love," he replied.

We went over and ordered our food.

We were on our way back to our table when all of a sudden a guy with a skateboard flies by, knocking me and the food tray to the ground.

The skateboarder kept going. Thomas's face was red with anger. "What the bloody hell are you thinking!" he yelled towards the skateboarder. The skateboarder skidded to a stop and turned around. I could see the slightest smile on his face.

"Idiot!" Thomas yelled again, then helped me stand up.

"Are you alright?" Thomas asked.

I brushed myself off. "Yeah. That was weird."

We threw away the food that landed on the floor- which was all of it.

I felt bad, so I offered to buy him at least a burrito.

Thomas, obviously flustered, gave a huge sigh and replied, "No love. It's fine. Some people are just idiots that can't abide by the rules."

Thomas went to go sit back down, but I ignored what he said and bought him a burrito anyway.

Thomas looked at me holding the delicacy and said, "Fine. But we're sharing it."

I nodded and we took turns eating the burrito. I let him have the most bites, though, because I wasn't all that hungry.

Eventually Rachel and Haley came back, both of them shrieking.

"Ah that was so creepy!" Rachel exclaimed.

"I know!" Haley shrieked back, then her eyes wandered over to me. "What happened to you?"

I looked at where she was looking, and noticed a fairly large bruise on my arm.

"Oh, some idiot kid knocked into me."

"Ouch," Rachel said.

"Ouch totally," was all Haley said.

I looked at my phone and noticed the time. "Wow it's already 4 o'clock."

Haley's face lit up like a lightbulb, "Oh right! That reminds me! I have something to do back at home. But first I gotta get you guys home. Let's go guys!"

I was the last one to be dropped off, but before I left the car, Haley spoke to me.

"So a kid riding a skateboard in the mall, huh?"

I nodded, "Yeah."

"What luck," she replied.

It was silent after that, and I guessed our conversation was over. I closed the door and proceeded to my house. But then I noticed something. How did Haley know that the kid knocked into me with a skateboard? And in the mall? I filed through my memories. I was certain. I never told her that.

But then the creeping memory of the note came back. And I froze in my place.