42:Sleep

She managed to pull her fingers out of the rope that kept her hands together. She was standing and then she was moving. She swung her fist into Pom-pom's face. The satisfying crunch of her nose under her knuckles was loud and it sent a jolt of pain through her arms. It did not hurt as much as the feeling in her heart and the ache in her head, but it definitely felt good.

Amber was on her feet and then she was charging, forearms raised in a defensive block as she hurtled through the wall of flesh. Her head hummed from the sudden change of gravity, dizzy and lightheaded, but she pushed through her disorientation, sprinting once again.

The pain was just an illusionary sensation, she told herself as she ran, dashing as fast as she could. She didn't dare to look back and when she finally slowed into a jog she was at the car park.

She was lucky enough to spot Miri standing under the light of a lamp post with her bodyguard beside her. The girl was furiously typing into her phone, turning to look up towards the stadium every few seconds to search for Amber in the masses of people.

The sight of her best friend gave Amber the final push to run faster. Within seconds, her best friend turned at the sound of her pattering feet to meet her eyes. And the shock and horror that flashed across her face almost drew a bark of lifeless laughter from Amber's lips.

Almost.

"AMBER! WHAT THE FUCK?"

Amber was in her best friend's arms in a matter of seconds and she was suddenly so weak that her legs gave way beneath her. Miri had her hands around her, holding her close and supporting her weight. Her fingers were trembling as she held her.

"Amber? Who did this to you? WHO?"

Miri was angry. She seemed angrier than the time when someone had spilt their coffee over her final project. Angrier than the time when she had heard that Deok-Su was bullied at a shitty company. She was angry, furious and enraged.

"Ambs, you're bleeding gold and red."

Miri was rambling, her voice was shaking with emotions as she held her close. Amber smiled softly at her best friend, her eyes fluttering as she struggled to keep them open. The adrenaline that once burned in her system, was steadily disappearing.

"Oh my God, Amber." Miri was panicking, her voice was growing higher and higher as she shrieked. "SHIT. STAY AWAKE! HOLY SHIT AMBER!"

She couldn't help it. She really couldn't. Her body gave out from the pain and Amber fainted, thankful for the darkness and the escape.

"AMBER!"

*

She awoke to flashing white lights and voices that her mind barely registered. She struggled to open her eyes, but they were like lead, heavy and unresponsive. She felt only great pain. Pain that tore through her body, crippling her mind. It made her breath escape her lips in ragged huffs.

"What are you saying?"

"We need to give her soul bond suppressants. We have to, Miss. The loss is too great."

This voice was unfamiliar and Amber frowned.

Somewhere deep within her mind, she could hear someone crying, soft, breathless, dry sobs. The sound continued, again and again, little pitiful wails from a mellow, sweet voice. The sound... It hurt her so much and it sent a dull burn of heat deep within her chest. A trail of fire that coiled around her heart that was too hot and too stifling.

Make it stop...

"No. NO! What if I tried to get her soulmate?"

"We need him in ten minutes to replace the blooms. Her soul is bleeding. The mark is too new and her body hasn't adapted yet. We need all of her soulmates to be here for the bonds to renew themselves."

The sound of crying within her mind continued. She wanted it to stop. She wanted to wrap her arms around the person and tell him that it was okay and that everything would be fine.

"Oh my God. Deok-Su?"

"We can't get them in time. Their hotel is too far away. It's a fifteen-minute drive. We can't make it, love. I'm sorry. "

"Okay, oh fuck. Okay, do it. Give it to her. Oh God. Amber. Oh my God."

A needle pierced into her forearm and liquid spilt into her skin. The liquid felt oddly hot and heavy as it flowed through her veins, spreading across her system. It dulled her thoughts and it made her body grow heavier and heavier.

"I hope you will forgive me Ambs."

The gnawing pain within her chest vanished and Amber once again succumbed to the darkness. She couldn't hear the crying boy and a strange sadness engulfed her. Please let me see him. She pleaded in the darkness. I just want to have a look at my soulmate. He needs to know that I'm okay. That I want him—

Sleep claimed her once more.