nine

Cardan's POV

A few days had past since I had left Jude standing in shock outside my bedroom door her face crimson red, now that was a sight I would like to see again. I had started to enjoy having her here more and more as the days passed and even enjoyed her pottering around or the sound of crashing files at one in the morning, busy noises that remind me of life in my lonely, darkest times. My bed seemed to be the place where I spent most of my time, and more and more of that time was spent alone in my bed. Female Faeries just don't appeal to me as they used to and I have no idea why, but it was gradual, my liking for any of them stopped when I stopped feeling pleasure and that pleasure replaced with guilt when I was up late at night with them in my bed. 

Slowly I stood up from the void that was my bed and stumbled wearily over to the full length mirror. I stared at the reflection trying to recognise it but I don't even know who I was anymore, I was a boy King a prince wearing an oversized crown who needed a female advisor to tell him what was right and wrong and organise meetings and balls well actually I organised those, Jude wasn't exactly a party animal. 

Suddenly there was a delicate knock on my door and I immediately knew who was there. I quickly grabbed my shirt and pulled it on my hair a mess and my under eyes pitch black with tiredness even though I slept most of the time. 

When I reached the door I hastily opened it to see the face of Jude, she was looking down at her feet with rosy cheeks and her lip between her teeth. She was obviously nervous and uncomfortable, I don't think I've ever seen her in such a state even when we were younger or young. 

"Hello Cardan, you need to sign these," Jude said offering up the piece of paper with a space for my signature. I took it slowly keeping my eyes on her face studying her, my heart was beating and she looked beautiful, I always knew she was but I had never truly admitted it but even in her rough clothes she looks stunning. Ugh shut up Cardan she's a mere human you could get way better you deserve way better. I shook my head and threw the document onto my bed. 

"Is that all?" I replied in a bored tone attempting to mask my feeling towards her, especially in her short shorts. She gulped and she looked up, obviously that kiss I left of her neck left quite an effect on her even though it meant absolutely nothing to me...right? I don't know why all of a sudden I was feeling this way ugh this is how I've changed not just physically but I'm falling for a human...wow...just as life couldn't get any worse. 

"Yes Cardan oh sorry my king that would be all, would you like a complementary massage with that or a pina colada?" she sneered, back to her old self, thank God I was starting to think she was softening up. 

"I don't know what that is, sounds human, if you like human things so much maybe you should return to living among them." I responded, anger, clear on her face, she was fuming. Obviously I'd pushed her too far, whoops, it is what I do best though, push people until they want to slit my throat. Hopefully they will slit my throat. 

"Fuck you Cardan I've done so much for you, responded to all your letters, signed things, negotiated with important people on your behalf and this is how you repay me? Rude and disgusting Cardan is back I even preferred flirty Cardan or anything else. You've bullied me for long enough and I've put up with it for too long, far too long. So yes Cardan I shall leave and go live with the humans WHERE I APPARENTLY BELONG you obviously don't want me here after everything that I've done for you!" she spat taking me aback, I didn't mean I actually wanted her to go but she took it literally. Well I have pushed and pushed and now she's saying she'll leave I don't want her to. 

"Go on then, leave, I can get better helpers than you, your always too tired and take to long anyway." I don't know why I responded like that because I didn't mean a word of it, yet my foolish tongue betrays me once again. 

With that she slammed my door shut and I could hear her footsteps storm to her room and she also slammed her door. I rolled my eyes, so dramatic of her like always. She wasn't actually going to leave she's just having a tantrum, let the kid be for a few hours and she'll come crawling back to apologise, just you wait. 

I opened my door and made my way along the corridor, I was starving, I hadn't eaten for a while, I haven't really seen a point in eating. When I passed Jude's room I heard her crying mercilessly and without stopping but a King cannot be merciful, I said what I said I can't take it back now. I wonder if she'll still be here when the sun rises in the sky.  

don't forget to vote please love you readers, means so much to me that you would take the time to read my book! xxx