Chapter 27: Nobody

Mirai tried to control her jagged breathing, uselessly.

Her hands hurt from hitting and clawing at the door so much. She couldn't see them, but she could feel the blood on her fingers.

There was no light or sound in the cellar only her deafening heartbeat and some weird shapes her brain was tricking her into seeing after all that time in the dark. She kept her eyes closed but the fear had taken over her and her mind was creating creepy imagery to fill the void in her senses.

She had stopped yelling a while ago, just because her throat was unable to utter a single more sound, but her breathing seemed louder than screams in the cold silence of this place.

It smelled like dried blood, hopefully she didn't cut herself too deep while trying to claw her way out through the wooden door. She couldn't feel the tips of her fingers anymore, so to see if she was still bleeding she pressed her fingertip against her lips.

It wasn't bleeding much at all, but it tasted like blood.

It had been long since she had tasted blood.

The last time she was tied to a chair and blindfolded.

Her hands were strapped to the armrest of the chair and she could feel something cold pressed against her left hand.

''Where does the Kuromiya clan store its weapons?'' the male asked.

''Up your ass.'' Mirai said, punctuating her sentence by spitting in the man's direction.

''You asked for it.''

That's when she realised what the cold thing against her hand was, a pair of huge metal plier that had grabbed one of her fingernails and was now ripping it off of her finger.

She threw her head back and tears escaped her, but she didn't let out so much as a whimper.

'' So the Kuromiya bitch thinks she's tough, uh? You'll see angel face; soon you'll be telling me everything I want to know.''

''I'm not going to say anything.'' Mirai replied, she had bit her tongue hard enough to draw blood and a red trail was running out of the corner of her mouth. The man wiped it off with his thumb.

''Well... maybe ripping off your fingernails isn't good enough to make you scream, but I'm creative. What do you say pretty girl? Should we get out the electric cables? What about a simple wet rag? Waterboarding is cliché, but so much fun...'' The man said sadistically before running a hand up Mirai's thigh slowly.

The touch made her queezy and she struggled against her restrains.

''Don't touch me you psycho bitch!'' she yelled.

'' That's quite an attitude you've got. No wonder your boyfriend sold you to us!'' the man said.

Mirai stopped moving suddenly.

''Your lies won't work on me. Namjoon would never betray me.''

''Young mister Kim, got quite a good sum out of our deal, don't blame him too much. He just wanted a way to go to law school and get rid of your ass without your father killing him...''

''That's not true...''

''Oh really... Isn't it such an odd coincidence that you get kidnapped at the exact place and time he secretly asked you to meet up with him?''

''Shut up!''

''Why ask you to meet him at night, at the edge of the woods, away from any possible witness? Simple, because we paid him to lure you there and you fell for it!'' the man explained.

''It's not true. He loves me. He said he loves me...'' Mirai whined, her eyes watering.

She didn't want to believe it, but she couldn't deny the obvious truth. Namjoon had betrayed her and she was going to die at the hands of that mad man because of him.

''If you think that then you really are as stupid as he said you were. You really fell for his game when he's been playing your for years. He was just afraid of your father and staying on your good side to save his own skin. But don't worry, he also said some nice things about you; he said you were a nice fuck!''

After that moment, the memory becomes blurry. It's filled with unbearable pain and the taste of blood, but not an ounce of fear. Despite the torture, after this point Mirai felt numb.

Without Namjoon by her side, the future she was looking forward to had disappeared.

She didn't care about this man killing her, she didn't care about living.

Days went by in the darkness of her blindfold and the silence of her beating heart before gunshots were heard and her vision restored.

The first thing she saw was a man, not much older than her, with striking blue eyes and exotic features.

''I is here. You is safe now...'' the man said with a heavy Russian accent as he undid her restrains.

Her nameless hero picked her up bridal style, like she weighted nothing.

''You are you? You're not one of my father's men...'' she said, her voice raspy and weak.

''I is Yvan.''

''You have beautiful eyes, Yvan.'' Mirai complimented honestly. ''They're the first beautiful thing I've seen in a long while.''

''You have beautiful... everything...'' he replied.

Mirai and him both laughed at his awkward answer.

This could have been a happy ending but her story with Yvan soon turned as sour as her story with Namjoon...

She had long learned her lesson.

Nobody could save her. Nobody, but herself.

Mirai lifted her knees to her torso and hugged her legs against her.

''Keep it together. Find a plan. Escape this place...'' she repeated to herself in a murmur, like a mantra, over and over.

***

Author's note:

As promised this chapter is a day early!

Now you finally know what's the betrayal Mirai kept on referencing to!

Turns out Namjoon didn't only leave her behind at a park when he sudenly left for law school, but he also got some money out of luring her there; which ended in Mirai getting kidnapped and tortured. No wonder she declined his engagement proposal!

Is it really all there is to this betrayal or is Mirai's side of the story missing some details? :)

Anyways I hope that explains a bit more about her character and  her motivations! ;D The next few (2 or 3) chapters will be a bit more serious but fear not; some crazy action is bound to happen soon too; so stay tuned!

Thank you soooo much for reading; seeing your, reads, votes and comments really makes my day brighter! I hope you have a day as bright as you make mine! :)