xxiv. the circle of idiots

chapter twenty-four
the circle of idiots

✧ 

 MAX JUMPED UP and down to the music. She sang along to Angel by Madonna, trying to enjoy her night with El. Max slowed down, feeling deja vu as she danced. She remembered dancing with Rue not too long ago.

 She felt weird sleeping over. No, it wasn't her first sleepover, but it was with El. Max has gotten so used to the Byers room and cuddling with Rue every other night. It was weird to sleep in any other room that wasn't her own or Will and Rue's room.

 When she caught a glimpse of the picture El lingered to stare at in the magazine. She stopped, putting the hairbrush she was using as a microphone down and she kneeled before the bed. She smiled, looking up at the girl, "You found Ralph Macchio!"

 Eleven made a wide-eyed face, looking at Max in confusion. "Macchio?"

 "Yeah, he's the karate kid," She nodded, using her arm to make a karate move she saw in the movie, "Ha-ya!" she burst into a small fit of laughter. "He's so hot, right? I bet he's an amazing kisser too," she said. Max looked at El, who stared down at her with the same confused expression. She cleared her throat, and a silly question wondered her mind, "Hey, uh . . . is Mike a good kisser?"

 El's eyes widened at her sentence. Her face turned about three shades of scarlet red. "I don't know . . ." she mumbled, a goofy smile crawling to her face, "he's my first boyfriend."

 "Ex-boyfriend," Max corrected her, with a nudge to her shoulder.

 El frowned and looked back at the magazine.