44:Inside

Amber

Soul bond suppressants: Drugs that inhibit the function of soul bonds. They have the ability to reduce the activity of souls, forcibly putting an end to any forms of soul bonds for unknown periods of time.

"If this doesn't work, please don't give up okay? I'm serious," Miri's voice snapped Amber out of her reading. Her best friend's expression was grim and her voice rose as she spoke. "I'll go to every house in this God damn huge ass country to search for Da-hee if I have to." Amber raised her head to meet Miri's gaze with a quick painful smile.

It was understandable why Da-hee had not given her contact.

According to Miri, JieMi had been a rock in her body. All the guy did was stare at the concert like a crazy IDOL fan, with huge eyes as if he were a deer in headlights. Da-hee and Miri had spent the whole time trying to revive him and snap him out of his daze. Both of them had assumed that the guy must be someone who lived under a rock and had no exposure to pop culture.

She was not sure what the reason for his reaction was. Maybe he was just extremely surprised by the lack of his penis? Maybe losing his family jewels was much more shocking than expected? Or maybe he was freaked out from being pressed so close to crazy fangirls screaming his name?

"Please don't," Amber replied. "Those people whose homes you would be disturbing might call the police."

"If they call the police, I'll just fly back to our home country." Miri shrugged. Amber snorted, a soft smile on her lips, but the smile didn't reach her eyes. She turned back to read, fingers scrolling through her phone.

They are typically used to reduce the feelings of soul loss from the death of a soulmate or to help patients who have experienced soul violation.

"I'll buy all their albums and try to get us a fan meet," Miri proclaimed. "We will see them in person!"

"No, please. Don't blow your wallet for me." Amber said, shaking her head. "JieMi might not even recognise you. If what you're saying is true, he probably didn't even notice his mom."

For patients experiencing soul violation, the typical treatment would be skin to skin contact with their soulmates, which would staunch the soul bleeding.

"If JieMi doesn't recognise me I will whoop his ass!" Miri brandished her palm like a weapon.

"I'm pretty sure the only thing he will recognise will be the feeling of your palms on his face," Amber smirked.

Doctors will only administer the medication if the bleeding is too severe or if the soulmate of the patient is unavailable.

"If that's what it takes then I will bitch slap him and wake his stupid ass up," Miri growled, glaring furiously at the sky. "Come at me, you stupid man!"

"Miri."

"Yeah, okay, okay." Miri sighed. "Sorry..." She said softly. "I'm sorry BFF." Miri shot her a guilty look, her lips trembling as she sniffed.

Her best friend looked worse for wear. There were deep circles under her usually clear and pretty eyes which were now red and bloodshot from the lack of sleep. It was clear that she'd been beating herself up, and felt responsible for Amber's condition.

"This is all my fault."

"Oh shut up." Amber glared at her pointedly. Her best friend needed to stop feeling guilty for things she had no control of. "It's the crazy fan's fault and, my stupid decision to go to the toilet alone. And please don't feel sorry about not getting Da-hee's contact."

"Well, at least you're closer to your mother-in-law than her son. I for one, am scared of Deok-Su's mom." Miri shivered at the thought. "That woman hates me for wearing pants!" Amber's lips quirked at her words, a smile creeping up her face.

"I guess I did overcome one obstacle, didn't I?" She shrugged.

"Yup, that's one down! Six more to go!"

"Oh my God. Shut up." Amber turned back to read. She did not want to think about the parents of her soulmates just yet.

It is not advisable to administer the suppressants for any other reason because of the possible side effects.

"And we're getting that bitch in jail no matter what okay? I swear. I'll hunt her down. I WILL!" Miri told her, clenching her fist and shaking it in the air. Amber sighed, smiling softly.

Law enforcement had told her that the nearby CCTVs were not working and no one had been present to be her witnesses. Just about everything was not going her way when it came to putting Pom-pom and her lackeys in their place. She was sure that the rich girls must have bribed some people to delete evidence.

The justice she deserved was taking its time to be served. Her case, with its too convenient lack of evidence, wasn't uncommon in the world of soulmate law. Like all such cases, they were placed within a waiting list that the police would not be prioritizing anytime soon.

Sure, she could push it by going to the media. She could talk about the lack of security at the IDOL concert and the unethical crazy fans. She could stand outside the company building and demand for retribution from IDOL, but that would mean dragging down their reputation.

That would mean entering their lives as a problem for their careers. There were too many what-ifs when it came to the media, and the fame that would come with it could bring huge consequences that Amber didn't want to risk.

The internet was a cruel and unforgiving place that spun webs of lies over the truth for more views.

"Please don't waste your time on this. I'm serious." Amber glanced at her best friend, giving her a look. "And don't blame yourself. The soul suppressants were necessary."

"We could have tried harder to get them to meet you. I really—" Miri slammed her hands on the wall, pounding her fist into the concrete. "ARGHHH! STUPID FUCKING IDOL! WHY DID THEY SAY NO TO MY DEOK-SU?"

"Deok-Su isn't their best friend, Miri...They aren't exactly chummy." Amber shrugged bitterly. "They're colleagues and Deok-Su's only worked with what? Casper? As if they would listen to him."

Amber skipped through the list of side effects and headed for the next tab in her browser, aka How to revive your Soul bond after consuming Soul Suppressants.

Step 1: Find your soulmate

"God, but he's close to Oliver! Plus, he told them everything! He said you were MinJae's soulmate and you needed him!" Miri tapped her left foot frantically against the white marble floor, a sign of frustrated anger. "Why the hell did they not believe him?" She groaned. "They are like so dumb, like so, so, so dumb. If I were them, at that age?" Miri scoffed. "I would be itching for a soulmate!"

Step 2: Stay close to your soulmate for long periods of time.

"Miri..." Amber exhaled, giving her best friend a weak smile. "It probably happens to them all the time with crazy fans. I bet they receive the same message from thousands of girls." Amber sighed. Hold on...She glanced at Miri sharply. "Deok-Su didn't ruin his reputation, did he?"

"Of course not. My baby's a valuable asset!" Miri shook her head, grinning at her proudly. "If he gets fired for dumb shit like this, I'll eat fresh horseradish and shit alien babies. Dude was responsible for fifty of their hit songs, the company won't just sack him for texting weird shit."

The announcement through the PA system broke them out of their conversation. Amber recited the flight number in her head, glancing down at her ticket. The black fine print on her ticket mirrored the words that she heard.

Miri sighed, glancing at the glass door. "Do you really have to go?"

Amber turned to follow her gaze, staring at the departure gate. She watched as security checked the passports of a group of tourists. Each of them had wide smiles on their faces and they were laughing cheerily. Their joyous expressions were the complete opposite of what she felt inside.