43.

Months ago, Alex got a boy from the streets. His name was Remy, he was a college kid, kicked out for college for dealing drugs and owed DeLuca shitload of money. He was neck deep in debt and mugged people in that fancy area around Aquamarine Hotel to earn his living. He came to Alex for work and I promised to help him if he stayed clean. We Morettis do not associate ourselves with drug dealers and pimps. Papa had a no-strict drug policy and so did I. That Remy boy was a good kid, hardworking and sincere. He was smart too, not the kind who could remember book names but he was street smart. He was a survivor and the kind of man I could use. We smuggle stuff, especially antiques and artefact, its a side business that Papa has asked me to handle. So, I had Remy deliver some of our parcels and did a good job at it. Why the hell am I writing about Remy? Because it just happens that he mugged Meg, the nasty and weird wedding planner.

Gabriella and Meg were meeting and my sister thought it was a good idea to call me since I was the one funding her wedding. Little Gigi is a lazy ass. She wants me to do all the work while she sips her Rosé cocktails, could she get any more typical? Anyway, I asked her to go ahead, I had to take care of some unfinished business. Apparently, DeLuca was stirring some trouble and strangely enough, Alex found that Bianca and Nico had patched up. Co-incidence, I think not. I tried to find my idiot brother, but he was whoring around like always. Am I the only focused person in this family?

I arrived at Aquamarine where I was supposed to meet the girls. As it happened Gabriella was late, which wasn't surprising at all. I saw Meg standing outside. I have to admit that she kinda cute when she keeps her nasty mouth shut. Why is it that the prettiest of chicks have the worst attitude? Maybe, everyone keeps on telling them how beautiful they are. I mean look at her, she is literally gorgeous and that keeps going in her head.

I walked closer and noticed that she was crying. I called out to her and she looked at me with her huge doe-like eyes and tears streaming down her cheeks. She did not look like her sassy self. Instead, she looked sad and broken. I should've been happy that revenge was served. But, I couldn't. Seeing her cry made me feel like I was punched in the gut repeatedly. Why did I have to be such a softie? Why couldn't I be like other guys who could be utter heartless jerks? Instead, I asked her what was wrong and handed her my handkerchief to wipe her tears.She managed to utter between her sobs that she'd gotten mugged and had her purse and phone stolen. I asked her for details. She described her purse, her tote bag, as she often corrected me. She described the guy who'd mugged her. The description fit Remy so I called up Remy. I asked him to come here and hand over the bag he'd just mugged. He arrived within five minutes and handed Meg's bag to her. She looked so surprised. Remy looked at her and at me and then he turns to me and says, 'I'm sorry, I didn't know she was your girl.' What the actual fuck? She isn't my girl. Why would he even think that? I looked at Meg and she too looked pretty freaked out after hearing it. See Remy, the feeling is mutual. He left giving me and Meg strange glances and I couldn't help but pinch my nose. God. He'd keep telling everyone on streets that Leo Moretti has a girlfriend. Man, I have a tough rep to keep up. If people thought I was dating a girl, they'd think I've softened up. Already they think Don Moretti's son is too weak and let's go people easily.

But wait, why wasn't Meg opposing it? Of course she wouldn't want it. I was a monster and a girl like her, all preppy, wouldn't want to get involved with me. I blurted out that she better not be owing me anything. If only she knew how dangerous it is to owe me a favour. I snapped at her. I don't know I guess I just realised that the world she was in and the world I was in is so different. She probably must have a quaint and happy childhood in a posh school, a good college maybe and a fancy job. She must've been sheltered away from all the bad stuff, unlike me. Sure we were born rich, filthy rich. But money which comes from blood and crime has a baggage. It's too heavy. I shouldn't have snapped at her, I noticed that I scared her a little too. Normally, I wouldn't have dared hinted at my profession. Our family business was a secret. But, I told Meg that she's better off not owing the likes of me.