v. HOME

[ 40's ]

When you first heard the news, you couldn't believe it. You sunk to your knees and broke down, sobbing in the middle of the kitchen, all household chores suddenly forgotten.

But they were happy tears.

Because finally, after years of pain and suffering, the war had come to an end. The soldiers who were lucky enough to survive would be returning, meaning that, at long last, you would get to see your husband again.

Naturally, Bucky meant the world to you. The two of you had gotten married just before he received his orders and you were heartbroken when you had to say goodbye to him. He wrote to you regularly but, of course, you were well aware of the dangers of war. You couldn't lose him, but now you didn't have to worry about that. Bucky was coming home.

Five minutes before his train was supposed to arrive, you stood by the platform, waiting nervously among hundreds of other people, mainly women and children. Large crowds made you anxious, but this was worth it.

A large cheer arose at the first glimpse of the train. You could do nothing but watch in silence, tears in your eyes, as it came to a halt in front of the platform. Soldiers began flooding out of the carriages and you stood on your tiptoes, looking for the one person that mattered to you.

After a few minutes, you caught a glimpse of a pair of baby blue eyes that you couldn't miss anywhere. They lacked the usual mischievous twinkle, but they were his eyes just the same.

"BUCKY!" You cried, running forward, shoving past everyone to get to him. His head turned sharply at the sound of your voice and his whole face brightened as he finally set eyes on you.

You flung your arms around him and both of you stumbled backwards slightly as he wrapped his arms tightly around your waist. Neither of you spoke yet – you didn't need to.

By the time you finally pulled back from the hug, the tears were freely running down your face. Bucky gently wiped them away before leaning down and kissing you. The kiss was short but soft and sweet – still enough to give you butterflies.

"I missed you so much, doll."

Both of you were eager to escape the large crowds so you began the short journey to your shared house, walking hand in hand the entire time. You listened as Bucky told stories of the trenches and the friends he'd made while he was away. Seeing his face light up as he recalled some of the fond memories made you smile.

Once you reached home, Bucky immediately laid down on the couch, beckoning you to lay with him. You kissed his cheek and hid your face in the crook of his neck as he lazily wrapped an arm around your shoulders, pulling you closer to him.

"You must be exhausted, Buck," you murmured, bringing your hand up to play with his hair.

"I am," he admitted. "We didn't get much time to rest, and whenever I managed to get some sleep the nightmares would always wake me up again. But the thought of coming home to you got me through it." He sighed contentedly. "I love you so much, Y/N."

"I love you too, Bucky. To the moon and back."

You laid together in comfortable silence for a few minutes before you noticed that Bucky's eyes had fluttered closed and his breathing was beginning to slow down as he fell asleep. You smiled, reminding yourself of how lucky you were to be with Bucky and, eventually, you drifted off too.