Chapter 55: Revelations of King Magnus

Third Person

The king of Patagonia was shivering like a leaf in front of King Leofrick. Not only was the king of Patagonia (King Magnus) trying to defend himself because he was suspected to have ties with demonized attacks against a nation much more powerful than his, but also because of his awkward history with Gismead wherein he was partially responsible for the deaths of five thousand Gismeadian soldiers as well as King Leofricks younger sister.

Even though king Magnus was a king, he was kneeling before King Leofrick like a peasant. Magnus did feel quite shameful doing so but he knew he needed to do whatever it took to get back into Gismead's favor. Especially since Patagonia's people relied on the trading and business brought to it by Girannon. If the two countries were to cut ties, Patagonia would crumble.

"P-please most gracious and magnificent king, you must believe me when I say that I had nothing to do with the recent demonized attacks!" Magnus touched his head to the floor trying to display complete submission.

"Then explain to me why a random Mage would offer to turn your soldiers into demonized men without any payment from you during the war! You must have a connection to him in some way, for him to just help you if he didn't demand a payment for his service. Stop your nonsense and tell us why he came to you in the first place!" Leofrick was losing his temper with this idiot king in front of him. Not only was he a blubbering fool, he was also completely clueless and had no useful information for him.

Magnus trembled at the king's irritated tone.

"Oh I beg of you noble King, show me mercy for my past transgressions!" Magnus trembled and he began to continuously bow his head to the floor while he spoke.

"All the man wanted in return for demonizing my soldiers was for me to make sure to kill your sister." Magnus burst into tears and began to sob violently on the floor, thinking that he had now signed his own death certificate. Leofrick would surely kill him.

Leofrick pressed his fingers into his temples trying to sooth the headache that was being brought on by Magnus's squeaky crying.

Everything Magnus had told him, he had expected to hear. Magnus brought no new information whatsoever, just confirmation of what he already suspected, and it irked him. Leofrick was on the verge of picking Magnus up and tossing him out the window.

Geoffrey could see that his father was losing his temper so he stepped in.

"Is there anything unique that you remember about the man, anything that we could use to identify him?"

"Well," Magnus stuttered, "He was wearing a thick cloak and hood that covered his face and body... but I distinctly remember that he had a strange artifact on his wrist. It's strap looked like it was made of cow's hide with a strange gemstone on top of it." Magnus said, recalling the strange artifact he had seen.

Geoffrey frowned trying to think of any artifacts with a similar description.

"Fine. That will be all King Magnus, you may return to Patagonia." Leofrick said grunting.

Magnus's staff rushed to his side to try and help him off the floor. As soon as Mangus was up, he gave a deep bow to the king.

"Although there has been uncomfortable tension between our two nations I hope the marriage of our two children will still the rapid waters between us..." Magnus gave a sly smile as he gestured towards his daughter who was standing behind him.

The princess curtseyed politely to the king. From taking one look at her Leofrick could tell she was a frail meak woman.

Her posture was terrible and her attention withdrawn. Although she was quite pretty With her pale blue hair and grey eyes, she had no fire in her gaze, no passion, no determination, nothing. Therefore she was completely unsuitable as a bride for Leofrick's son, furthermore she was not the type to help rule a Kingdom like Girannon.