THIRTY-ONE

Sebastian looked illegally sexy in a suit

He had shown up way too early, my dreams of floating down the stairs looking like a princess ruined. I stood at the top of the stairs in my pink fluffy robe, matching slippers and my hair wrapped in curlers. I was like a deer stuck in headlights.

Here he was, looking as handsome as ever, with a bouquet of flowers in his hand and I still needed to finish getting ready.

"You look beautiful," he said, cheekily smiling.

"I'm not ready," I grumbled like a child. He chuckled as I made my way down the stairs towards him.

"I wanted to spend as much time with you before you left," he said kissing me on the cheek.

I took the flowers from him, kissing him gently as I did so. I'd almost forgotten that Sebastian wasn't allowed to come with me tonight. He'd been banned from school grounds because of the Caylee situation. It wasn't his fault at all but we didn't want to risk it. so, the most he could do was drop me off.

He followed me into the kitchen and watched as I placed the flowers into a vase with water. I turned around, leaning on the bench behind me. 

We both stared at each other. I broke the silence by letting out a sign. I walked over to him, wrapping my hands around his waist.

His large arms engulfed me and i snuggled further into his chest. I'm sure the plastic in my hair was a bit uncomfortable for Sebastian.

"I wish you could come tonight," I spoke into his chest. It was muffled, so I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't hear me.

He pulled back, only allowing us room so that we could look up at each other. His arms remained around my waist.

"I'll be with you until the dance and I'll see you after, it's only a few hours. Besides," he went on. "You've got this. You can handle Caylee without me."

I sighed into his chest. We stood like that for a while. Just in silence, basking in each others presence.

It wasn't long before we were interrupted by my mother. She walked into the kitchen, her hands full with bags of groceries. She dropped them on the counter loudly.

"What are you doing?" she said, hands on her hips. "Go get ready! And you," she pointed at Sebastian, "help me with the rest of these bags."

With that, she walked out of the kitchen.

Sebastian looked at me. I shrugged then ushered him out of the kitchen.

***

Sebastian sat next to me as my sister continued to get me ready for the night. the three of us bickered back and forth, joked around and laughed all afternoon. it was especially funny when Sebastian made me laugh and Ashen, scolded him for making me more.

We kicked him out by the time my curlers were ready to come out and the dress was ready to come on.

Ashley, gently brushed her fingers through my hair, making sure the curls looked natural. she helped me into my dress and heels.

She wiped away a fake tear. "The ugly step sister becomes Cinderella."

I scrunched my face. "First of all, that's not how the story goes and second, we are full siblings."

"One could only dream."

I shoved her.

"Being honest now, you look beautiful. Have fun tonight kiddo."

My fantasy came true.

Sebastian stood at the foot of the stairs while I stood at the top feeling like a princess. He looked amazing in the suit, and even though he'd been wearing it an afternoon, I couldn't get over how handsome he looked.

I tried floating down the stairs but the magic was ruined when I constantly tripped. I didn't wear heels often and even though I'd like to say i was a pro, I knew I'd take them off at the end of the night. 

Sebastian couldn't take his eyes off me.

Even when I almost fall down the stairs, his smile would only widen.

"Who's princess is this?" He joked when I finally reached the bottom. I giggled. "Someone better come get their girl or I'm going to steal her away."

"Hmm, being stolen away doesn't sound so bad," I hummed before kissing him on the lips.

"None of that in front of your mother," my mum said. id almost forgotten she was there. Yet she stood beside Sebastian with an expensive camera in her hand.

"Hurry up," she rushed. "I want photos!"

Sebastian and I shuffled around, listening to my mothers instructions. His hand went around my waist as we posed for photos.

I leaned over and whispered in his ear. "I can't wait to take the suit off you tonight."

His smile faltered and his hand tightened around my waist. He didn't stop looking at the camera and I chuckled.

After many photos and smiles that eventually made my cheeks ache, my mother and sister finally let us depart. My dress was so large and puff that it almost didn't fit into Sebastian's car. I had to hold the ruffles together as he helped lift me into the car.

We road in silence practically the whole way, his left hand on my thigh the entire time, exactly like the first time we were in his car together. It wasn't an awkward silence, but a comfortable one. Each other's presence said more than words in those small moments.

When we stopped outside of my school, my mood dropped. I wanted him to come inside with me, dance with me under the moonlight and kiss him while everyone watched. I took a deep breath and sighed heavily.

Around us, other couples looked beautiful in their long dresses and styled suits. I hardly noticed because I was too busy avoiding eye contact with my boyfriend. Boyfriend. It sounded so foreign but amazing.

"I wish you could come in with me," I spoke, finally limiting my head.

"You'll have a great time with Rosie, and besides, it will only be a few hours then you can have me all to yourself," he smiled.

"Fine," I whinged like a child. He chuckled, leaning over and placing a kiss on my cheek.

He helped me and my large dress out of the car gently. I pulled myself into him, burying my head into his chest. He somehow always smelt so good.

I kissed his lips gently, before finally and stubbornly pulling away from him.

"I'll be here in a few hours," he spoke before I started walking towards the dance.

But he wouldn't be.