⁰⁶, THE FIRST SUSPECT LIST

𝐂𝐇𝐄𝐂𝐊𝐌𝐀𝐓𝐄
chapter six; The First Suspect List
I just don't think you're good people, that's all. "

  JAMES POTTER HAD a second wind of daily motivation

  JAMES POTTER HAD a second wind of daily motivation. January was starting to melt into February, this time constraint a noose slowly tightening around his neck, but it only fueled him further.

  For the first time, he'd not waited to write his note the night of. He'd written in the morning he read the one left for him, and was now forced to carrying his response in his pocket.

 He'd written in the morning he read the one left for him, and was now forced to carrying his response in his pocket

  He quite liked the game. Propelling him through day-to-day life. Sadly, Mystery Girl had explicitly excluded James from receiving help from his friends, so it was all up to him. The planning and execution of said plan— he had work to do.

  "We have quidditch practice, mate."

  "Yeah, I know," James mumbled, hunched over a piece of parchment, "Might skip."

  "Prongs, you're the ruddy captain," Sirius said, approaching his best mate frantically, "You've not done that."

  "What?" James asked innocently, peering up at Sirius with a smidge of ink across his cheek.

  "You wrote the name of every Gryffindor girl ever?" Sirius clarified, pointing to the small stack of parchment, "How've you crossed some out already?"

  "Lily and her friends," James said, quickly, "And the ones I've heard hate chess, and then every girl in a relationship."

  Sirius was still hung up on the fact that James had so casually said Lily Evans' name for the first time in months.

  "Some of them don't make sense, but I can't rule them out," James mumbled, twirling his quill between his fingers, "Like, I can't see Fitzgerald being this interesting."

  "That's a bit harsh," Remus yawned, shutting their door behind him and shedding his jumper, trading it for a t-shirt, "Dottie's nice."

  "She's also Gerard's side-kick."