18. CHOKE

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN
[CHOKE]

Molly pulled the stray feathers out of Damon's uncomfortable couch that he let her sleep on for the night

Molly pulled the stray feathers out of Damon's uncomfortable couch that he let her sleep on for the night. He'd gotten this apartment since he couldn't go to house due to the anti magic border. The morning sun shined down on her face and warmed her skin, she could see the dust flying around the piece of light.

The morning was still, she'd been awake for an hour now, just thinking.

She thought about where Kai might be now, if he'd made it to Portland yet— or if he was already done doing what he was going to do.

Her eyes were swollen from crying, and all she wanted was to lock herself in her room and be alone— but she didn't have her room anymore.

Molly popped her head up at the sound of a door opening and saw Elena and Damon walk out of their bedroom, sending her faint smiles before Molly lay her head back down on the pillow.

"Are you hungry?" Elena asks.

"I'm okay." Molly response, her voice a bit coarse.

"Are you sure? Damon can make you pancakes." She says.

Molly focused her gaze back on the ray of light coming in from the window. "I've eaten enough pancakes the past six months." Molly responds.

Elena and Damon exchange glances and Damon shrugs, walking into the kitchen to make himself some coffee. Elena walks towards Molly and sits down gently on the couch she slept on.

"Damon and I looked at apartments for you last night." Elena nods. "There's a really nice one close to Whittemore—"

"I can't afford a really nice apartment." Molly says, a bit embarrassed.

Elena thinks for a bit. "Damon will pay for it."

"Um—" Damon says from the kitchen, Molly glances over the back of the couch to look at him. "I never agreed to that."

Elena ignores him. "Caroline, Bonnie and I will take you shopping for it and stuff, it'll be fun." Elena smiles.

Molly forces a faint smile out herself. She didn't have the energy to get up from this couch, let alone go out and shop for a whole apartment. "I think I just need some time to settle back in." Molly shrugs.

Elena nods faintly. "Okay." She says, glancing over at Damon then back to Molly. "Let us know if you need anything."

She walks into the kitchen and drinks her coffee with Damon as Molly musters up enough energy to get up and walk to the bathroom. She'd brush her teeth, but she didn't have a toothbrush. And she'd go to the store and get one, but she didn't have a car. Or money for that matter. Right now, the prison world wasn't sounding that bad anymore.

Molly had to keep herself from thinking of Kai. He was out of her life now, and that's good. It's what needed to happen. It was just a quick thing between two desperate people— nothing more.