4. Back To Hogwarts

Y/N's POV

We didn't talk much during the remainder of the journey. At long last, the train stopped at Hogsmeade station, and there was a great scramble to get outside, owls hooted, cats meowed, and Neville's pet toad croaked loudly from under his hat. It was freezing on the tiny platform, rain was driving down in icy sheets.

"Firs' years this way!" called a familiar voice. I turned and saw the gigantic outline of Hagrid at the other end of the platform, beckoning the terrified-looking new students forward for their traditional journey across the lake.

"All right, you four?" Hagrid yelled over the heads of the crowd. We waved at him but had no chance to speak to him because the mass of people around us was pushing us away along the platform. We followed the rest of the school along the platform and out onto a rough mud track, where at least a hundred coaches awaited the remaining students.

As the carriage carried us toward a pair of magnificent iron gates, I saw two more hooded Dementors, standing guard on each side. A wave of cold sickness seemed to engulf me again. I leaned back into my seat and closed my eyes until we had passed the gates. The carriage picked up speed on the long, sloping drive up to the castle. Hermione was leaning out of the tiny window, watching the towers draw nearer. At last, the carriage swayed to a halt, and Hermione and Ron got out.

As I stepped down, a drawling, delighted voice sounded in my ear.

"You fainted, L/N? Is Longbottorn telling the truth? You actually fainted?"

Malfoy elbowed past Hermione to block my way up the stone steps to the castle, his face gleeful and his pale eyes glinting maliciously.

"I heard you fainted too Potter." he added.

"Shove off, Malfoy," said Ron, whose jaw was clenched.

"Did you faint as well, Weasley?" said Malfoy loudly. "Did the scary old Dementor frighten you too, Weasley?"

"Is there a problem?" said a mild voice. Professor Lupin had just gotten out of the next carriage.

Malfoy gave Professor Lupin an insolent stare, which took in the patches on his robes and the wrecked suitcase. With a tiny hint of sarcasm in his voice, he said. "Oh, no, Professor," then he smirked at Crabbe and Goyle and led them up the steps into the castle.

We joined the rest of the crowd and walked up towards the Hogwart's castle. When we reached the entrance hall, I heard McGonagall's voice.

"L/N! Potter! Granger! I want to see you three!"

Me, Harry and Hermione turned around, surprised. Professor McGonagall was calling over the heads of the crowd. I fought my way over to her with a feeling of foreboding, Professor McGonagall had a way of making me feel like I must have done something wrong.

"There's no need to look so worried, just want a word in my office," she told them, "move along there, Weasley."

Ron stared as Professor McGonagall ushered us three away from the chattering crowd, we accompanied her across the entrance hall, up the marble staircase, and along a corridor.

Once we were in her office, a small room with a large, welcoming fire, Professor McGonagall motioned for us to sit down. She settled herself behind her desk and said abruptly. "Professor Lupin sent an owl ahead to say that you were taken ill on the train, L/N, you too Potter."

Before I could reply, there was a soft knock on the door and Madam Pomfrey, the nurse, came bustling in.

"I'm fine," I said, "I don't need anything-"

"Me neither." said Harry.

"Oh, it's you two?" said Madam Pomfrey, inspecting the two of us. "I suppose you've been doing something dangerous again?"

"It was a Dementor, Poppy," said Professor McGonagall.

They exchanged a dark look, and Madam Pomfrey shook her head disapprovingly.

"Setting Dementors around a school," she muttered, pushing back my hair and feeling my forehead, "they won't be the last ones who collapse. Terrible things, they are, and the effect they have on people who are already delicate-"

She was referring to Harry, I hope.

"I'm not delicate!" said Harry crossly.

"Of course you're not," said Madam Pomfrey absentmindedly.

"What do they need?" said Professor McGonagall crisply. "Bedrest? Should they perhaps spend tonight in the Hospital Wing?"

"I'm fine!" I said, jumping up. The thought of what Draco Malfoy would say if I had to go to the Hospital Wing was torture.

"Well, they should have some chocolate, at the very least," said Madam Pomfrey.

"We've already had some," said Harry, "Professor Lupin gave me some. He gave it to all of us."

"Did he, now?" said Madam Pomfrey approvingly. "So we've finally got a Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher who knows his remedies?"

"Are you sure you feel all right, L/N, Potter?" Professor McGonagall said sharply.

"Yes," the two of us said.

"Very well. Kindly wait outside while I have a quick word with Miss Granger about her course schedule, then we can go down to the feast together."

We waited for Hermione and then headed down to the Great Hall for the feast.

"Oh," said Hermione softly, "we've missed the Sorting!"

We sat by Ron who had saved Harry and Hermione seats, not me though.

"Don't worry Y/N, you can sit next to me." Neville, who was nearby, offered.

I nodded gratefully and walked away, sitting next to the boy. I could see Harry and Hermione both glaring angrily at Ron.

"Welcome!" said Dumbledore. "Welcome to another year at Hogwarts! I have a few things to say to you all, and as one of them is very serious, I think it best to get it out of the way before you become befuddled by our excellent feast..." Dumbledore cleared his throat and continued, "as you will all be aware after their search of the Hogwarts Express, our school is presently playing host to some of the Dementors of Azkaban, who are here on Ministry of Magic business."

He paused.

"They are stationed at every entrance to the grounds," Dumbledore continued, "and while they are with us, I must make it plain that nobody is to leave school without permission. Dementors are not to be fooled by tricks or disguises, or even Invisibility Cloaks," he added blandly, I could've sworn he looked near me and the others, "it is not in the nature of a Dementor to understand pleading or excuses. I, therefore, warn each and every one of you to give them no reason to harm you. I look to the Prefects, and our new Head Boy and Girl, to make sure that no student runs afoul of the Dementors." he said.

"On a happier note," he continued, "I am pleased to welcome two new teachers to our ranks this year.

First, Professor Lupin, who has kindly consented to fill the post of Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher."

There was some scattered, rather unenthusiastic applause. Only those who had been in the compartment on the train with Professor Lupin clapped hard, me among them. Professor Lupin looked particularly shabby next to all the other teachers in their best robes.

"As to our second new appointment," Dumbledore continued as the applause for Professor Lupin died away, "well, I am sorry to tell you that Professor Kettleburn, our Care of Magical Creatures teacher, retired at the end of last year in order to enjoy more time with his remaining limbs. However, I am delighted to say that his place will be filled by none other than Rubeus Hagrid, who has agreed to take on this teaching job in addition to his gamekeeping duties."

I clapped loudly for Hagrid, as did the rest of the Gryffindors. When the applause died out, Dumbeldore spoke again.

"Well, I think that's everything of importance." said Dumbledore. "Let the feast begin!"