f i f t y e i g h t

MY NEW ROOMMATE was obsessed with the color yellow and grand theft auto—and not in the sense of the video game

MY NEW ROOMMATE was obsessed with the color yellow and grand theft auto—and not in the sense of the video game. He side of the room was drowning in yellow, from the curtains, to the carpet to even her fucking clothes. The only thing not yellow is her uniform, but she's added yellow stripes to her shirt with a highlighter.  

I stare at her side of the room to distract myself from the loud pounding against the wooden door. 

"I can't fucking deal with this, I'm sorry Hayden." Lilith groans as she stands from her desk chair and storms across the room. She wrenches open the door, but only half way so I was obscured from the view of the hallway. I pull a pillow into my chest as I sit in the middle of my messy, unmade bed. Lilith grunts, "How many times do I have to say it boy—fuck off." 

"I need to speak to Hayden." Chase demands gruffly from the hall. Fuck, I wish I could see him. 

Lilith puts a hand to the hip of her bright yellow sundress, "Well she doesn't want to speak to you buddy." 

"Is she in there?" Chase questions as Lilith glances over her shoulder at me. I shake my head vigorously at her. Lilith had been pretty chill about everything since I had moved in five days ago. She didn't ask, didn't press for answers, and only offered me tiny yellow cupcakes which were fucking delicious. 

"She's asleep." Lilith sighs as she turns back to Chase, "So come back tomorrow when I don't have a fucking paper due and the only thing I've written on it is the fucking due date!" 

And with that, she slams the door in his face, turns squeals in frustration. I watch with wide eyes as she marches back to her desk and slumps down into her chair. 

"You're really fucking cool." I mutter and wonder how the hell I hadn't run into her at all this year. She's been a student at Caldwell since she was thirteen, hence why her side of the room was so customised. 

"Thanks." She breathes heavily and twirls one of her dark brown pigtails between her fingers. She then turns around in her chair and rests her forearm along the back, "Did Chase Everett eat your banana pudding? I hate when guys eat my banana pudding." 

I laugh lightly "No, he didn't eat my banana pudding." 

"Then what happened?" Lilith questions as she tilts her head adorably. I don't answer and instead glance down at my lap, my brain screaming at me to tell her. To tell anyone. "I mean it's just the whole school is wondering why you left Elwood, so you should probably be prepared for the rumours tomorrow—that's if you're planning on finally going to class." 

I hadn't really left these four walls since I moved into them. Lilith basically hordes snacks from the vending machine and she shares everything with me so there is really no need to go to the dining hall. I've gone to the nurse's office, a small and brightly lit room on the other side of campus, twice to make my story of feigning period cramps a little more believable.