Chapter-45

Neelambari walked Sona to her late mother's picture, she wanted Sona to have the blessings of her mother. She knew, her daughter must be crying in heaven for not being able to be her first born. Sona's eyes watered. How she wished her mother was here , to walk her down till the mandap. Neelambari controlled her emotions giving Sona a gentle hug.

"Un amma oda aasirvaatham unaku eppavume irukum. Kavalai padathe" (Your mom's blessings will always be with you. Don't worry). Sona gulped her pain. Neelambari patted her shoulder, "Muthala, kannai thoduchuko, intha vilaku ethi vai. Unoda amma eppavume unnoda sirricha mugatha than paaka virumbuva.(First wipe your tears and light the diya. She would want to see smile on your face and not tears..)

Seeking her mother's blessing Sona made her way to the hall where her family waited to bless her. Kneeling, she stood waiting for them to bless her for her future. She concluded that it was the absence of these blessings the last time that her relation crumbled. She was determined to make all her relations a success. Everyone blessed her by showering atchadhai(rice coloured with turmeric). Neelambari checked time and ordered her sister, "Sagunthala, take her to the temple. It's already late. I will check the groom's family and will join with you all there in the temple"

Sona held Neelambari's hand and the latter patted her cheek, "I will be there before you". She gestured her sister to leave and decided lead the  Rathore's family. She had assigned few members to direct Rathore family to the venue.

***

Sona stood at the stairs of the temple staring up. As if praying to the deity for the blessings. Neelmbari gesture her to go up , she nodded but then a view made her feel empty. Another young girl stood as a bride as her mother offered the support she needed on her big day. Sona took a painful breath realising that moment will never be hers. Before the gasp could escape her lips, a warm hand slipped into hers, lifting her eyes she met that of woman she once feared. Ananya wiped the corner of Sona's eyes. ''I didn't accept being your mother for fun, I meant it. I will walk you to the mandap. Hereon, my daughter will never cry. Shall we?''

Sona nodded her head like a child given her favourite candy. She kept her eyes on Ananya who held her like a mother and for a strange reason, she could feel her mother walking on the other side.

Once inside the temple, Ananya decided to be at Sona's mother's place. On Neelambari's instance, Ananya took Sona to the nearby room.

*****

Dressed in traditional Tamil attire Vikram looked draper. He wore a silk dhoti & shirt with angavastram (shawl)is draped around his neck with a turban called as Thalaipaagai . Dev stepped forward and made Vikram a wear gold chain and bracelet as part of a gift from his family.

''Will you keep my sister happy?'' Vikram whispered

Dev stared at the Rathore he liked the least, ''With my life.'' Vikram's lips quirked. ''Remember that promise.''

Dev smirked, in response he pulled the bracelet a little harder. ''Same applies to you.''

***

Sona looked beautiful traditional Kajeevaram saree, her hair pleated with thick flower garlands. The traditional gold jewellery added aura to her appearance making her look like a Princess. Sona caressed the bangles; they were of her mother. Each piece of Jewellery she wore were that of her mother which was passed by her grandmother. It was tradition. ''If you have a daughter in future, pass on these to her as a blessing from your mother and grandmother.''

Neelambari described the jewellery to a very curious Ananya. '' That's Jadainagam, it's in a shape of cobra worn on plaits. It symbolises fertility. The one on over the waist, is called Oddiyanam. It's made of solid gold with temple designs and is used to keep the saree borders and garlands in place.