Chapter 40

L E V I ' S  P O V

The mere sight of this place disgusted me and brought back overwhelming feelings at the same time.

This was the place where Ophelia was treated like garbage, the place where people took advantage of her kindness and the place where she worked hours to save enough money to survive.

Despite all of these cons, it was also the place where I met her, the place where I had to be forever grateful to for allowing me to find such an angel like Ophelia.

I wasn't sure how to feel as I walked through the doors, and I certainly wasn't sure how to feel as I came in and saw the disturbance and complete chaos inside the restaurant.

Yells were heard as I entered the glass doors. Numerous people stood in front of the cashier, asking for a refund, while the ones that were sitting down complained that their food was taking too long.

Suddenly a door slammed open and an angry woman walked out with Rachel, the manager, following behind her.

"You can't leave!" Rachel shouted angrily as she marched after the girl.

"Yes, I can and I will. This diner is completely finished. It's hit rock bottom. You want to fix it? Stop cutting back on Ophelia's days because of some fucking agenda you have against her." The lady stopped as she turned around to spit these words in Rachel's face.

Rachel's face turned a deep red colour as she fumed angrily, hands fisted tightly. Without another word, the girl walked right past me and made her way through the door after slamming her apron on the counter.

I watched the scene unfold in front of my eyes with my hands stuffed in my pocket.

"Seems like you have a bit of a problem here," I spoke.

Rachel's eyes snapped to mine as she ran a tired hand through her dark red hair. If it wasn't for her disgusting attitude, I would have considered her to be a beautiful young lady— that, and the fact that it was hard to appreciate anyone's beauty except for Ophelia's.

"Uh— Mr. Morterez. It's been a tough week," She swallowed uncomfortably. "What brings you here, sir?" She asked but then flinched afterward when she heard a dish break in the kitchen.

"It's about Ophelia—" I started but she cut me off.

"Oh, that's no problem, sir. She—" I stopped her with a raise of my hand.

"Please— Just please don't ever interrupt me again," I said lowly. Anyone who've ever known me knew that I absolutely hate being cut off when I'm speaking. It had nothing to do with me thinking that I'm superior, it was just one of my greatest pet peeves.

"Y-Yes, sir, sorry, sir." She mumbled and her cheeks blaze in embarrassment.

I gritted my jaw as I made a hand movement, urging her to continue what made her think that she had the audacity to interrupt me.

"What I was saying was— that no need to worry, I'll be increasing Ophelia's days as of tomorrow. In fact, she'll be able to work every day since I've been feeling generous and care about her so much," She finished in a rush with a smile on her face.

My lips tugged up slightly at the corner, "That's very nice of you," I acknowledged. "However, that wasn't my reason for stopping by. I'll be happy to tell you that Ophelia won't be working here anymore. In fact, she'll be going to college and getting her degree in medicine. I thought I'd tell you since I'm feeling so generous." I smiled.

The smile on her face instantly dropped, her face contouring into a look of disbelief. "College?" She squeaked.

I refrained from the urge to roll my eyes, that'd be rude of me. I checked the watch on my wrist, seeing that it was getting later.