vii. a reunion

THE SIMPLE TERM reunion is defined by the meeting of two people after a period of separation

THE SIMPLE TERM reunion is defined by the meeting of two people after a period of separation. The implication is connection. Loving connection after such distance between two people, it was the very essence of a reunion. But, that was the thing about normalcy, there wasn't enough to go around anymore. The world had been dried out of normalcy, shifting lives and routines into the abyss of the unknown, plummeting without a moment's relief. Reunions are intended to be everything but disastrous, and yet, the world would always find new ways to torment its inhabitants.

As Ellie peered down, her muscles burned as she crouched around a nice campfire, built especially for herself and Coda to sit around. Ellie remained glued to Shane for most of that evening, the two had engaged in polite conversation that eased the hole within her, but Ellie's mind kept wandering off to where her brother had gone. Luke's absence left a wonky hole in her heart that never seemed to fill, unless he were to be returned safely. Back to the comfort of their family.

Though, it hadn't appeared likely that Luke would be found at all.

Before the sky had entirely darkened over, Rick had announced that the missing member of the group had returned from searching for Sophia, whomever he had been. Rick acknowledged the member to be easily irritated, jokingly providing advice to steer away from him as he had returned from the search empty-handed, as Ellie had discovered Sophia's whereabouts first. There were several mutters throughout the group, implying that this particular group member had stirred up a rift amongst them.

All Ellie could do was observe in silence.

Ellie glanced over at Rick, who seemed frustrated as he declared, "I wish there were walkie talkies that we could use or at least a CB. We're in dire need of something so we can communicate effectively, this is all just a guessing game." Ellie nodded at him and attempted to hold back the tears that were forming in her eyes, "Ellie, I'm sorry about Luke. We will find him."

"It's my sister, too," Ellie murmured, brushing her hands against her goosebump-ridden arms, "We were looking for her before we found you guys."

"We will help you find them, right, Grimes?" Shane replied as he nodded at his partner, but Rick could not bring himself to respond. "Oh, look who finally decided to join us."

Ellie stood to her feet and swerved around gradually as her back had been facing the final member of the group to arrive. Once she whirled around, she felt her breath hitch in her throat, and a thousand blades had hit her heart. A haunting image of a memory Ellie had already taken matches to seemed to reveal itself ahead of her. Every inch of his being remained identical to the last moment she had seen him. All entities around her disappeared. It was only the two of them. Herself. And Daryl Dixon.

The butterfly effect implies a singular choice in a vast ocean of possibilities will lead to another. His choice to leave Ellie simply crafted her into the woman she had become. There was no telling whether she was better off for his absence, or whether he simply had left her to be destroyed.