Chapter Thirty One - Part One

Chapter Thirty One: Reunion - Part One

Sam flew them back to the outpost in the aircraft. James had been staring out the window with an unfocused gaze for some time. Reaching the docking station and taking off had been a blur, and he felt like he was only just coming back to his senses.

He turned to Sam beside him, swallowing to work moisture back in his throat. "Who were those other soldiers? In the silver and black armour?"

"Sacre Guards," Sam told him.

Castan let out a low breath from the back seat. He had been uncharacteristically quiet since escaping the guards. "Sacre, fai. On this planet?"

"They still might be Jaxx's soldiers in Sacre armour. Or they might be the real deal, brain-washed like the rest of them. Or, bought into Jaxx's employ. But what a big party like Sacre are doing with a small-time arms dealer like Jaxx is up to us to find out."

"Some very big connections," Castan said dully. The mirth and energy had been lost in his voice, and he sat with a shaken, dazed demeanour.

James remained silent, lost in thought, before shaking his head and looking at Sam. "Can you tell me... how I fired one of their rifles? I didn't even think about it when I picked it up, I just wanted to save you."

"And you did," Sam said. "I'm thankful for that. As to how you were able to fire a Sacre weapon, I can't say. And I honestly mean that I don't know. I can guess that you must have one of their Trigger Switches embedded in your palm. That's the standard way without needing a glove or ring or bracelet containing a Switch."

James studied his palm, which still had a patch of rough skin from when he conjured fire magic. "But how, Sam? Why would I have a Sacre Trigger Switch in my hand?"

Sam gave him an apologetic headshake. "There were no records of you ever working with Sacre, as far as I know."

"And how much do you know, exactly? About the old me?"

"Only what I've been told," Sam said. He kept his eyes on the sand dunes ahead and added, "There should be no reason for you to have one of their Switches in your palm. Usually a soldier is equipped with an external Switch, like a glove. An embedded chip is only usually reserved for high ranking authorities, those that have proven their dedication, or by black market procedures."

James studied both his hands now. "Does it matter which hand it's in? I mean, if it's in my left hand can I fire a weapon with my right hand?"

"The Trigger Switch is determined by biometrics and proximity, normally restricted to the one hand."

"It's in my right hand, then," James said thoughtfully, flexing his scarred hand. "I guess that fire damage didn't break the Switch, at least."

James shuddered. He wondered what other secrets the old James Island held from everyone.

"Never seen so many guards in once place before in my life," Castan said to no one in particular. "And they really wanted you fellas."

"Castan, I'm sorry for getting you into this," Sam said over his shoulder. "I never meant for you to come into danger. Once we debrief in the outpost, you'll be free to go. You've more than held up-"

"I'm fine," Castan said. "A little too much excitement for me, aye. But do not worry about me. I am made of thicker material than this." He pulled at his woven jumper.

"Good man," Sam said, and cast a quick look at James. "By the way, James, good work with Jaxx. Both of you. You look like you held yourselves well."