xxvii. everything was unexpected

chapter twenty-seven
everything was unexpected

 EL SAID BILLY MIGHT BE the new host. The rest of the party found it hard to believe. "There's no harm in checking it out," Mike had suggested. They voted, and the majority agreed despite their doubts.

 They rode their bikes down the middle of the road towards Hawkins' community pool. The storm from the night before left the streets wet, but the sun was bright, and the birds sang. It was a beautiful summer day if only they could enjoy it without worry.

 Rue stood on her bike, letting the breeze calm her nerves as her hair flicked in the wind behind her. It was her moment of peace as the sun shines down on her, warming her face and giving her body soft tingles. She smiled. God, she loved summer.

 Lucas rode next to Rue, telling her to sit down so she wouldn't fall off her bike. She rolled her eyes but sat down anyway, gaining speed for him to chase after her, laughing as he cracked a few jokes.

 Even though they were possible hours from dealing with monsters, they were just kids, and they found time to be kids.

 Max pushed on her petals slowly, Eleven's hands on her shoulders as she rode on the back of her bike. She wouldn't believe Billy was flayed. Not at all. He was the last person to be involved with paranormal activities. Max wanted to chew on her nails, but they've already been bitten raw. Rue wouldn't have liked that, she always told Max to stop doing that, and Max would tell Rue to stop chewing on her lip.