Chapter 18 - The Date

LLOYD

"Jaaaaaaaaaayyyyyy!" I cry. "I need you!"

"What's the emergency?" Zane asks, entering the room.

"I don't know what to wear!"

"You mean for your date?"

"Yeah," I admit a little bashfully. I mean, I don't really care what I look like, but I'm worried y/n might. I don't wanna ruin the moment. What if I screw everything up? 

"I think you should wear this," Zane says, pulling a green hoodie and a pair of pants out of the dresser.

"Why?"

"Because it's the only thing you ever wear."

"True," I say, realizing that he's right.

"Besides, you always feel like yourself whenever you wear it. Romantic outings are meant to form bonds between people through action and conversation, so why should you change your appearance?"

"Thanks Zane," I say. "For the advice, I mean."

"It was no problem, brother."

"You asked for me?" Jay says as he enters the room.

"Yeah, but it's all good now. Zane helped me."

"With what, exactly?"

"I wasn't sure what to wear."

"So you're going to wear that?"

"Yeah, what's wrong with it?" I ask, holding up my hoodie.

"It's so... plain."

"I don't have anything else, Jay."

"Come 'ere, I've got just the thing."

Jay shoves me into pair of black pant from his closet and a white shirt from Zane's collection. The pants are loose and pretty worn out, but they're not too bad. The shirt is baggy on me which I like, but like most pale clothing, it has certain level of translucency to it, which only adds to my self consciousness. I can only hope that nobody can see my binder through the fabric.

"Do I have to wear this?" I ask.

"If you want to look nice, then yes," Jay says. "It pays to be classy on a first date."

"You don't even know where we're going."

"Is it somewhere classy?"

"No."

Jay stares at me with a look of sheer disappointment in his eyes. 

"Why must you wound me like this?" he mutters.

"Okay, fine. I'll wear this awful getup," I say. "Can I go now?"

He nods and lets me leave his room. I run up on deck where y/n is already waiting.

"Wow," I say. "You look... breathtaking."

"That's a bit of a strong word," y/n says with a laugh. "But thanks. You clean up nice yourself."

I force a grin and shift my weight between my feet. I don't know what to do with my hands.

"You look a tad bit uncomfortable," y/n says after a moment.

"What gave it away?" I shrug, then offer my arm to y/n like a gentleman. "Shall we?"

"Uh, just a minute."