twenty one

Marci chewed on her lip nervously as the chauffeured car drove up to the new avengers compound in New York. She hadn't even been to the new facility. Well, she hadn't been to the old tower either but that's besides the point. She knew she should be focused on the issue of why she was summoned by the Secretary but she couldn't help but let her mind wander to Bucky.

As Marci hung up the phone Bucky was quick to speak. "What's going on?" He asked, pulling himself out of bed and to her side. Marci stared at the cell phone in her hand, her mind barely able to process what had just happened.

"Uh, the Secretary of State is requesting my presence for...," she trailed off, "something," she shook her head in confusion.

Bucky's immediate reaction was, "What?" But Bucky's face fell when the realization hit him. "You're leaving me." Marci couldn't tell if it was a question or a statement, other way, he was right. And as those words fell from his lips her heart felt as if it had broken into a million pieces. Just as their friendship was beginning to develop something more, she was ripped from his grasp.

Marci glanced up at him, her face had fallen too. "I- I can't just blow off the US government," she said quietly. He shook his head and turned away from her. "Buck," he didn't move, "Bucky," she tried again. He kept his back to her and ran his hand through his dark locks. With an aggravated sigh she stalked forward, "James," she said more harshly. As she spoke she grabbed his arm, pulling his body around so they were face to face. Even in the shadow of their apartment, she could see the glossiness of his eyes; the small amount of anger that had bubbled inside of her disappeared and her heart dropped. "I'm not leaving you," she reached out grabbing his hand, rubbing the back of her hand with her thumb.

"But you are," his voice was quiet as if he wasn't sure it would come out at all.

"Just for a few days, until I figure out what's going on. And whatever they need me to do, I'll say no and I'll come right back," she told him.

He sighed and thought for a moment, there was nothing he could do to stop her, "Do you promise?"

"Bucky," she gave him a small smile, "I'll run to you for as long as you want me to." He swallowed the lump in his throat but he wasn't able to find any words to respond. He didn't need words though. He stepped forwards towards Marci and wrapped his arms around her small frame; Marci snaked her arms around his torso too. With her head on his chest a smile crept over her face. Bucky on the other hand was fighting to keep back tears as he nestled his head into the crook of her neck.

She knew she'd come back.

"Ma'am," the chauffeurs voice broke Marci out of her thoughts, "We've arrived." Marci stepped out of the car, taking in her surroundings. The Avengers Compound was an incredible facility, it looked like it came straight out of a movie. There were multiple building that litter the grass, but she could easily tell which was the main one because of the big 'A' that was on display. Upon entering the building, she was met with a woman who she didn't recognize, but seemed to recognize her.

"Hello," the woman greeted. She was dressed in a pencil skirt and blazer, looking much more professional than Marci's jeans and T-shirt. "You must be Sophia?"

"Uh yeah," Marci felt a lump in her throat at the sound of that name, "I go by Marci actually," Marci shrugged but shook the woman's hand nonetheless.