10 // text?

CHAPTER TEN
text?
•••

CHAPTER TENtext?•••

ɴᴏʟᴀɴ ᴍᴜʟʟᴇɴ

After I dropped Oakley off, I knew it wasn't quite safe enough to go home yet, so I spent some time in my car in a parking lot, scrolling through social media.

Sometimes I wondered how they were so damn fast with writing those articles, because pictures of me and Oakley standing by my car were somehow everywhere.

How do they even write an entire article about that?

"Why did you go out of town?" my mom asked when I walked through the front door that night.

"I just wanted ice cream," I said innocently. My mom didn't like me trying to avoid paparazzi. And I knew trying was pointless.

"Nolan," she sighed. "We've talked about this."

"I just don't want everyone to look at me like that, mom. I have to watch where I walk and what I say every time I just want to go outside. It's exhausting."

"It's just the price you have to pay, Nolan. You love acting, I know it. But with your talent comes fame and I know you didn't want it, but you're stuck with it now."

It was the same story over and over again and every time she repeated it, I wanted to rip all of my hair out. I didn't need the same shit story I'd been getting since I was thirteen. I wanted someone to understand me.

"Oakley Carrillo was the guy you were seen with today. He's number one with his music, you see? And I have yet to hear a bad word about him. He never 'takes a break', but he's doing great, Nolan."

Maybe he's number one, but he didn't seem too happy either.

"I don't care, mom. I want to walk around in the streets without being scared of doing something stupid."

"Well, it's your decision what you're gonna do. You can give it all up and go to college like your friends, or you can stay here and do what makes you happy, but that means less privacy. We've been through this before, Nolan. We can't change the industry."

I sighed. How much I hated to hear it, it was the truth. And I did love acting. I'd done it my entire life and couldn't imagine never doing it again. Even in my break I actually had a tiny role in the school play, but I didn't want to be the lead because I didn't want to rob someone else of that role.

But it just felt nice, pretending to be someone else for a while. I couldn't imagine not doing it anymore.

"I get it," I said, slouching down on the couch.

"Now go to bed. Dahlia told me you have an audition next week."

"I do?"

"Yeah, some teenage rom-com. It would be perfect for you," she said.