Chapter Twelve

Tuesday, September 3rd, 2019

Sheila

     "I don't want them to judge you for being a dragons mate."

     The words made me stumble backward. I would have fallen off the small wooden bridge if not for Zaivinth wrapping his arms around my back. He pulled us back to the center of the path. He took a breath out from his nose, the sound of relief.

    The sound had snapped a tether that seemed to hold my emotions down. I wrapped my arms around him and buried my head into his chest.

    I lifted my chin to see him looking down at me, that loving look in his eyes. "How could I ever be judged for my handsome, reliable, strong mate?" I pulled out of his arms, taking his hand in mine.

     "If they judge me for that, they are clearly just jealous." I giggle looking back at him with a smile. "And if that's the case, they can just judge away."

    I turned my back to him, facing the massive tree that leads us done to the castle. It was lit up light a lantern, you could see it from a mile away. The fireflies danced around it, but instead of the yellow glow that I've seen so many times, it was green.

     "You said it to me, now I think I can say it back to you. I'm not going to force you to be uncomfortable. You don't have to worry about me, just be happy." Little did he know that I was just as worried as him being judged due to the fact he was mated to a shadow wolf.

He tugged on my hand sending me backward. "Wha—" Soon I had arms wrapping around my torso, my back pressed against his chest. He put his nose in my hair, taking in my scent.

"What did I do to deserve being this happy." His honeyed voice drifted to my ears sending chills down my spine.

"Don't jinx it for the both of us." I laughed, earning a returning chuckle.

"Then, we must enjoy it while it lasts." He released me for just a second before swooping my legs off the ground.

"What in the—" I gasped as I wrapped my hands around his neck. He just chuckled, carrying me bridal style the rest of the way.

     He walked all the way down the steps of the tree with me still in his arms. "When are you going to put me down." I huffed, even though I didn't mind getting the princess escort.

"Whenever I feel like it." He glanced down at me, an even gleam in his eyes paired with a smirk. He took the last step off the tree and onto the once polished marble floor, now it was covered in shoe prints.

He walked through the opened humongous doors with no sign of putting me down. In the distance, the noise of people was starting to rise.

"You have to put me down." I banged on his chests playfully.

"Oh do I?" He hugged me tighter to his chest, letting out a playful chuckle.

I nodded pleading with my eyes. I heard the crowd get undeniably loud. "Please!" I cried out gripping his dark green cloak.

    "Well..." His smirk grew, "because you asked me so nicely." He dropped my feet. Soon there was another noise, coming from behind us.

The sound of rushing hooves.

We whirled on our heels to see the centaur from before rushing straight at us. I took a step back and raised my hands, this "man" looked like he was going to run right into me.

"King Zaivinth," He hauled his body to a stop, locking his legs and scrambling backward. "I'm glad I'm not the only one late." He sighed, taking in a deep breath of relief.

Hold on, did he just say King Zaivinth?

"It's good to see you again, Herus." Vince nodded his head in greeting, which was returned by Herus. Then I noticed Herus eyes shifted to my own.

"I'm glad we are meeting under better circumstances now, my name is Herus Areuis, King of the Centaurs." He put his hand on his chest and bowed politely.

"It's nice to meet you Herus, you can call me Sheila. I hope to be good friends in the future." I curtsied, gripping the sheer green fabric in my hand.

"I sure we will be." He smiled, his old yellow eyes glimmering with delight. "I swear if I can get my hoove around Metelsalvers throat I'll—" He was cut off by a chuckle, my mate's chuckle.

"I'm sure you are not the only one who agrees with that." He used his chin to gesture towards the ballroom entrance, only a few yards down the hall. "Let's walk together."

We started at a slow pace, Herus stood next to my mate, conversing about past wars, though I couldn't really hear them. There was one thing going through my head, 'King, King, king.' It was a constant knocking on my brain.

"Sheila—"A King, does that make me a queen? I'm not ready to be a queen. "Sheila?"

"Hmm?" I snapped my head up to my mate. "I'm sorry, I zoned out, what did you ask?" I tilted my head to the side.

"I—" Herus leaned forward so I could see him fully. "I asked if you would happen to know where other Shadow Wolves would be. Your species is so, so, so very rare." His eyes shown every expression.

I put a thumb on my chin thinking deeply about this question. "I personally have never met another shadow wolf, for the chances of one being born is almost impossible. That being said, werewolves normally see Shadow Wolves more as a threat than anything else, leading to most of us to be killed at birth. Luckily I only had to live in isolation for my entire life. With all that being said, I would believe that there is probably only two to three of us in the world, at most." I looked over to them, the hurt was written all over their faces.

"Oh, I guess I didn't answer your question. Sorry."

"No, no, don't worry about it." Herus waved his hands frantically, "I'm sorry you had to grow up in an environment like that." His eyes flicked ahead. "I would never allow my children to grow up like that." I almost heard a growl erupt out of him.

Herus looked to my mate, it was a hard stare. It almost seemed like they were having a conversation within their minds. "Do not fret, they will get what they deserve." No remorse was left in my mates voice. It sent chills down my spine.

"It seems we have arrived. I'll go in first, so you can gather yourself." Herus have one last wave before walking through the massive overarching entrance, into the massive ballroom.

I turned to my mate. "You are a King?"

Oooooh spicy.

What do you think of Herus? I love that old goat

HOW ABOUT VINCE BEING A KING?!

What do you think the banquet will be like?

COMMENT AND VOTE PWEASE