24: Walls

Oᑎᑌᔕ ᑕᕼᗩᑭTᗴᖇ:
Because you guys have been awesome
🖤🌻🖤

ᗷOᑎᑌᔕ ᑕᕼᗩᑭTᗴᖇ:Because you guys have been awesome 🖤🌻🖤

"No one showed up. Not a single kid." Ni'Kya's mom whispered to her husband as they both looked in at their 10 year old. She sat at a table covered in party decorations. She was peering down at her cake, eyes swelling with tears.

"Maybe she didn't give out the invitations."

"They were all gone, I checked her bag when she got home."

She wiped her nose and sniffled, getting up and heading to her room, her sister following behind her for comfort behind closed doors, within the four walls.
-
"Ni'Kya, I heard you liked me, and HELL NAW I don't like you." The entire 6th grade class erupted into laughter. The teacher had stepped out and as soon as she was out of ear shot, Ni'Kya's then crush had made it his mission to embarrass her in front of everyone.

She looked around for someone that would come to her defense, but everyone was to busy laughing and happy that his antics for the day weren't aimed at them.

Once their teacher returned, they all shushed themselves, Ni'Kya still looking rather uncomfortable as she raised her hand, "Mrs. Turner, can I please go to the bathroom?" She asked holding in the tears from falling. She couldn't let them fall, not until she was in the comfort of the bathroom stall walls.
-
Ni'Kya sat in the school courtyard as she watched her so called friend walk hand and hand with the guy she had just told her about the day before. Her heart sank, not because of the guy per-say, but because she had known this friend since they were in diapers and because her and the young man had grown close, he even admitting that he liked her as well.

They had gone to different elementary schools, but reconnected in middle school and now here they were in high school and finally thought someone was in her corner. That same friend would later tell one of her future boyfriends that's he seems more suited to her needs rather than Ni'Kya's. Someone she thought she could depend on had left her high and dry after breaking down her walls.
-
Many things plagued her throughout the years, so much that she usually stayed home and only hung out with family. She had friends, but only when she invited them over or they went places and her parents paid.
As she got older, it was usually her helping out a friend just to sometimes be left out of the fun later. So, she kept up a guard, not letting anyone in, all the way to college.... where she met Tia.

It was both their first time being so far from home and for whatever odd reason, a simple question sparked their initial friend ship, "So, you wanna grab something to eat?"