Chapter 15: The Final Battle (of Volume 5)

"OVERDRIVE!" Jonathan shouted just before his fist connected with Hazel's. A miniature shockwave erupted from the force of their blows, a small gust of wind blowing outwards. Normally, two fighters would continue whaling away at each other after such a hit, but JoJo and Hazel stood with their fists pushing against each other.

The two narrowed their eyes in determination and pushed harder. It was a contest of strength, to see which of these large men would budge first. JoJo intensified his Hamon, sending as much as he could into Hazel, but it didn't seem to affect the large man at all.

"You're big," Jonathan told him, forced to look up to meet Hazel's eyes. "I've fought bigger."

Hazel gritted his teeth and swung with his other fist. On instinct, JoJo ducked under the jab and rammed his elbow into Hazel's unguarded ribs. The larger man didn't even flinch.

"I was expecting more from you after the state you put Tyrian in," Hazel's voice rumbled. A large hand seized Jonathan's arms, then Hazel rammed his head into the Joestar's forehead.

JoJo stumbled back and clutched his head. Luckily, his aura had shielded him, but the sheer force of the blow felt like being punched by any trained boxer. Maybe it had something to do with that Dust he injected? He asked himself.

The thought reminded JoJo of his match against Dio when they were twelve.

A lightbulb went off in the Joestar's head. Well Dio, he thought. Maybe you did teach me something useful.

Before Hazel could land another blow, Jonathan raised his fists in a traditional boxing stance. The Joestar dashed forward to meet Hazel's charge. JoJo took account of his speed, the angle he would attack from, his height, and even their position in the room. All of this raced through his mind in that very moment, and just when the two giants among men got within arms' length, he made his move.

"Kooooooh!" Hamon coursed through JoJo's limbs, making his fists glow with life-filled energy. Jonathan sidestepped to avoid another one of Hazel's large fists. He followed through by sending his fist skyward into a powerful uppercut to Hazel's chin.

"Arooaaaaah!" JoJo shouted, sending all of his Hamon through his knuckles and into the larger man before him. Hazel stumbled back and glared at Jonathan. The young Joestar smirked and stood with his arms forward, his wrists crossed and his hands pointing downward.

"My friends and I have come too far to be stopped by Salem and her forces, Hazel," JoJo stated. "I promised I would protect Ruby and the others from meeting the same terrible fate as the former Fall Maiden, Pyrrha Nikos, and all others that died in Vale because of Cinder." Jonathan then changed his stance until his arms were folded and he pointed at Hazel at one hand, his other hand held under his arm. "And if I have to destroy you to keep them safe, then I will."

Hazel tightened his fists until yellow sparks were continually flying away from him. "Bold words, boy. But you should not underestimate Salem or me."

Then the large man rushed Jonathan, bringing both of his fists down to smash his head. But JoJo caught them out of midair! He raised his palms and focused all of his Hamon into his hands to meet the blow.

"I am not a boy, Hazel. And I have fought far worse than you," Jonathan told him.

Hazel gritted his teeth. "We'll see about that."

His fists grew heavier in JoJo's hands, and he strained to keep them at bay. Deciding that it was better to abandon this comparison of strength, JoJo redirected Hazel's fists to go past him, giving JoJo the opportunity to slam his elbows into Hazel's side.