PROLOGUE

He stared in a daze at the flow that came and went. It was almost like he was hypnotized by the current.

Anyone who saw him by the edge of the sea would have thought that the cold didn't bother him. He had taken off his thick coat. Wearing a short sleeve shirt, the freezing air only stung his skin but he didn't shiver.

Slowly, as if mesmerized, he took a step towards the cold water. Then another and another followed. His feet sank into the stinging water. Then his knees dipped in the dark and cold ocean swallowed him whole.

Soon the stinging on his skin turned numb and then the rest of the body was frozen. His eyes closed and his consciousness blurred. The cold soon became warm.

The sound of the waves that went and came were whispers of lullaby drifting him off to sleep.

He sank deeper into the ocean. His body relaxed. He was not resisting the chains of guilt and accepted it wholeheartedly because he was so... so tired.

He went into deep sleep and prayed not to wake again.

"A boy! A prince was born! Princess Ophis had blessed the Obelian Empire a prince!"

Startled, he snapped his eyes open and air pierced through his throat. The pain of raw air made him realize that whatever was happening right now was real. No matter where he looked, his vision would still be blurry.

He felt overwhelmed, scared, confused, and in despair. The life that he tried to end with his own hands did not end. He gave in to the guilt that plagued him and was ready to welcome hell if that was where it took him.

Life was not kind. Ending his own life was not what it allowed. Life was the judge. No one could back out of it unless it had its final judgement.

"Princess?"

Some called out. Their voice sounded worried and alert.

"... as... ex... t."

Another voice, barely a whisper reached his ears.

"Prin... Princess?"

The princess's voice gradually volumed up.

"He is not supposed to exist..."

"Wha-What do you mean, princess?"

Someone tried to get an answer.

"He is not SUPPOSED TO EXIST! THIS WAS NOT SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN!"

The princess shrieked. Hurried footsteps thundered and alarmed gasps and cries filled his ears. He felt being yanked away and the grip around him tightened protectively.

"Hand him over! Hand him over! He has to die! He should not exist!"

"Princess Ophis, please calm down!"

The people begged but that only seemed to fuel the necessity to kill.

He felt a sudden drop. The one who was carrying him must have fallen.

A sudden gasp of pain left his lips. Something had pierced his leg and it hurt. The pain was unbearable.

Was this hell? It must be. This must be the punishment he was receiving for his misdeeds.

Was he allowed to cry?

"Die! DIE!"

"Princess!"

"DI-"

The scent of iron hit his nose as his body was showered with liquid. Then silence and his consciousness also faded.

***

The next time he awoke, his vision was not blurry. The room he was in was very dark and it looked like it was being used as a storage room. He took time to process what happened to him as he sneezed by all the dust there was.

Small hands, small feet, and how giant everything seem to look, he finalized that he was reborn.

Based on the whispers, his mother, Princess Ophis Adelaide di Santus, had tried to kill him with the dagger she always hid under her pillow. She had pierced his right leg with it and was about to go for his heart when she had suddenly coughed out blood. She died soon after.

"This was not supposed to happen!"

It was his fault. His mother had died because of him, because he was born.

He heard whispers.

"The thrown away prince."

"The prince that lead his mother to death."

"Monster..."

He was nothing but a monster. Rejected by his mother and by his father who had not even come see him. He was the unwanted prince.

And he was given the treatment that he deserved for the sins he committed in his new life and his previous life.

The maids barely fed him or changed. He had long lost the feeling on his right leg. His body slowly became weak as days went by.

He did not cry. He did not have the privilege to do so. He had killed his mother after all.

***

He was feeling weak. He felt like death was finally waiting for him to stop breathing.

So he relaxed his body. This time, he would be judged by life. He would die and compensate for the death of his mother. It was the right thing.

Suddenly he heard people panicking outside the room he was staying before the door slammed open.

This was the first time he had seen such a beautiful man. Blond like gold that glittered under the rays of light and cerulean kaleidoscope jeweled eyes.

An angel?

The man paused as he looked at the baby in the crib. The look on his face.

Was it sorrow? Pain? Regret?

The teenager inside the body of a baby was not sure. He had never been at the receiving end of such an expression.

The man approached the weakened baby in the crib and stared at him.

The baby thought the man's shoulder shook but he was too tired to figure out why the man was shaking. He closed his eyes.

"His name is Elias de Alger Obelia! The next in line for the throne!"

The man raised his voice as he turned around to glare at the servants that gathered in front of the baby's "room".

"Move his quarters to the room next to mine!"