𝒯𝓌𝑒𝓃𝓉𝓎 𝒮𝑒𝓋𝑒𝓃

THE WEDDING DAY

BIRMINGHAM, 1924

BIRMINGHAM, 1924

     THE WEDDING BETWEEN Deborah Soloman and Thomas Shelby had finally arrived. Everything was perfect, the venue, the dress, the drinks and food. The ceremony was held in a historical church only minutes from the couples home. While neither the bride or groom were religious, Deborah had mentioned during the planning that her mother dreamed to see her marry the man she loved under God's eye. Tommy immediately booked the church and assured his wife to be that he wanted what she wanted.

The wedding dress was gorgeous, exceeding past Deborah's expectations. The traditional white gown was made from the finest silk and had a subtle lace finish. It was exactly Deborah, no giant puffy skirt or beads and diamonds, it was perfect. The young women had been in awe when she first saw it with Polly and Ada, who practically sobbed when they saw her glowing in it.

Many guest were invited, most of which were from the Shelby side of the family, however, Tommy had tracked down as many relatives as he could from Deborah's side of the family and were all sent invites to the extravagant wedding. After much thought and long discussions, Deborah had sent Alfie an invite. She didn't think it would, but it devastated her when she got his reply, telling her that he wanted nothing to do with the gypsy family. With Nick's help, she picked herself up and forgot about her brother.

The eve of the wedding had been the most difficult part of the whole thing. Polly forced the couple to separate for the night, warning them they couldn't see each other before the big day. Tommy had put up a good fight, demanding he stayed with his fiancé and daughter, but even he couldn't handle the wrath of Polly Gray.

Despite the excitement of it being her wedding day, Deborah felt sick to her stomach with nerves. Different scenarios ran through her head as Polly helped the young woman into her wedding dress and fix her hair. She imagined herself tripping over her long vail as she walked down the aisle, or looking up and realising Tommy wasn't there. It was just nerves, but they had Deborah panicking.

"Pol, I'm fucking sweating." Deborah gasped, fanning herself.

"You're just a bit nerves, hun. That's completely normal" Polly assured her, while placing the large diamond clip to the bride's hairdo. "You should have seen me the day I got married. I almost turned around when he lifted the vail."

Polly's jokes did nothing to calm the woman down, it seemed to only add to the stress. Thankfully, the door to the small room in the church opened and in walked Nick Soloman. Deborah sighed in relief at the sight of her older brother, the smile on his face calming her nerves.

"Wow." Nick said in awe, as he stared at his little sister. "Pebble, you're a vision." He complimented, while kissing both her cheeks.

"I better get out there." Polly announced. Before she left the room, she turned and hugged Deborah and placed a gentle kiss to her forehead. "I'm so proud of you and I know you're mother would be too."