22. TRANQUILITY

CHAPTER TWENTY TWO
[TRANQUILITY]

The day strained on for what felt like years

"Did you finish your calc assignment?" Bonnie asks from across the room. Molly looked up from the constellation she was subconsciously drawing at the top of her notebook paper.

"Uh—" Molly reaches into her backpack and shuffles through her papers before handing Bonnie her homework. "Here."

"I am so glad you're back." Bonnie says, before turning back around in her swivel chair at her desk.

"Let me see it when you're done." Caroline says as she writes something down in her notes. The three had been studying for the past two hours in Caroline's dorm. Caroline glances up from her paper to see Molly gazing off out the window. "Are you okay?" She asks.

Molly snaps her head over to Caroline. "I'm fine." She says.

"You look nervous." Bonnie says. "You've been clicking your pen for the past half hour."

Molly shrugs and takes a deep breath. "I have a test tomorrow."

Caroline begins to pack up her things, and Molly and Bonnie direct their attention towards her. "Where are you going?"

"The hospital." Caroline says, before swinging her bag over her shoulder.

"Again?" Bonnie frowns.

"Yep." Caroline says confidently. "My mom and I are watching Baywatch for the fifth time."

Molly laughs. "Baywatch? Out of all movies?"

Caroline looks offended. "I'm sorry I don't enjoy your deep, sad, indie movies." She says sarcastically.

Molly laughs, but the room falls quiet again. "How is she doing?"

Caroline takes a deep breath. "I don't know." She shrugs slightly. "The doctors have told me as much as they can." She glances at her watch. "I gotta go, text me when you have the answer to twenty eight." Caroline says, pointing at Molly.

Molly waits until Caroline shuts the door to turn back to her notebook. "Okay." Bonnie says, making Molly look up at her. "Now you can tell me what's really going on."

"What? What do you mean?" Molly asks.

"Molly Denver I have known you for six years and never have I ever heard of you being nervous for a test." Bonnie says, she gets up from her desk chair and plops down on her bed. "What's going on?"

Molly bit the inside of her cheek and tried to think of an excuse that wasn't a complete and utter lie. "I'm just worried about— Kai being loose again."

Bonnie nods slowly. "Right." She says quietly. "We never really talked about what— happened when Damon and I left the prison world."

Molly fidgets with the strings of her ripped jeans. "There's not much to tell." She shrugs.