Chapter Ninety-Eight | Third World

[ 98 ]

The tear gas was dampened by the onslaught of rain water. Which meant that the rest of the team were able to take off the masks that covered their noses and mouths. But the sudden barrage of rain was like a big gulp of fresh air.

Due to the unpredictable nature of the Advanced Rotters, the soldiers would have moved in any direction in order to avoid an attack. Which meant that from where Team A stood, they couldn't properly identify the new positions of the remaining teams. So freely shooting in any such direction, was out of the question.

"I need to see my target, there's a risk I'll harm friendlies if I do it blind." The Commander told the rest of the team member's, who were all perched in a squatted position, ready to pounce. The second in command swiftly nodded his head, clutching his weapon.

"We'll cover you." Roscoe decided and looked to the rest of the team who mirrored his decision. Every move they made was a humongous risk. And if someone acted alone, it was guaranteed to end with their certain death. Which is why it was crucial to have teams. And although perhaps peculiar, given the backgrounds of a select few individuals, the soldiers didn't even hesitate with the ex Scavengers watching their backs.

Perched precariously on a small balcony, which only provided minimal cover if they were in a low position, Team A waited for their signal. Whatever Niklas was going to do, it had to be quick. They would all be out in the open. Though beneficial to be in a high position, in terms of strategy, it also made them stick out like a sore thumb.

Again, Niklas and Hansel locked eyes. Mutual expressions swallowed-up by seriousness. But in the moments before the whole team acted, Hansel curled his lips and gave the man a supportive nod. A rare, sweet expression which Niklas would recall amongst the horror of their situation. A welcomed light within the ensnaring darkness.

As a droplet of cold rain fell from one of the slight curls of Hansel's hair, trickling down his defined cheekbones and then across his unblemished cheek, Niklas watched almost transfixed as it then hung off his jawline. When it fell, the Commander closed his eyes momentarily. Allowing the pelting rain to drown out his hearing.

Eyes snapping open; Niklas gave a sharp nod and they all jumped to their feet. They were greeted with the grim sight of the battlefield. The sheer weight of the rain created a hazy effect on their surroundings. The dominating sound muffled the bullets as they sliced through the water. Without any need for instruction, Roscoe led the way by being the first to pull the trigger.

A grotesque figure was jumping from roof to roof, releasing a screeching sound. No one had to question which of the Advanced Rotters it was. Clearly Bjorn had been too lenient with his previous slap; but it had still been hard enough to make anyone wince.

Through the veil of the weather, the creature all but moved its head like an owl. An almost 360 degree turn in their direction. It had been looking for them.

As the abnormal advanced-rotter grew closer, the four assault-rifles honed in on its position. But the barrage of bullets did nothing but knock it of its feet for mere moments. Gradually it got closer, to a point where their weapons were then aimed directly below them.

Droplets lingering on the tips of his eyelashes, resulted in Hansel blinking quickly to try and keep a clear view of the creature. His hair and clothing were plastered to his skin, making the layers of protection suddenly feel very minimal. There was no opportunity to turn their attentions elsewhere, to make a possible escape route.

That's when the child jumped. Like the other Advanced Rotter's, with their elongated limbs, this increasingly deformed creature was capable of jumping multiple feet in the air, higher than the top athlete's record. It was sudden, and took the four of them by surprise. Reeling backwards, their weapons were swiftly brought upwards and they once again began to shoot.