49: duck

*

Life sucked.

"You don't want to search for Da-hee? Amber!" Miri's bewildered voice was so loud that Amber had to pull her phone away from her ear, wincing at the scratchy pitch.

"Miri..."

Amber sighed for the thousandth time that day. Her fingers rubbing her pinkie sadly. The red string had disappeared but at least the rose print remained. A symbol of her future with Sieon.

"JieMi doesn't want me. Even if we convinced his Mom, dude already said loud and fucking clear that he's going to marry Ha-Eun." The last bit came out of her lips, angry and sad. The thought sent a dull ache across her soul and a prickle of tears that stung her eyes. She'd cried enough after the whole fiasco with the authorities.

The staff of AirSound Entertainment had only released her after careful interrogation, a full scan through her phone and finally opting to report her to the police for trespassing. The questions they asked were degrading, the looks they gave her burned her skin.

Those looks were nothing compared to the looks MinJae had given her, which hurt more than anything and haunted her thoughts and dreams. It was stressful to not give in to their questions. The questions that expected her to admit that she was a stalker fan who had sneaked into IDOL's hotel room.

They pushed and pushed for her to admit to her wrongdoing. Wrongdoing that she was innocent of and it made her head hurt, and her chest ache. She only managed to get away with just a warning because of the support from the International Soulmate Facility who verified her sudden appearance in the country.

In other words, it had been a whole afternoon of trying to convince people who were almost sure she was an obsessive fan. The only thing she'd learnt from this was that, if she said her soulmate was one of the staff members, the authorities were more inclined to believe her. The moment she said one of the IDOL members was her soulmate, they clamped up and lumped her into the crazy fans section.

The section that deserved to go to jail.

Amber now understood the reason why some people who were innocent just ended up in jail, and were only released when authorities caught the true perpetrator.

"And he ate suppressants!" Amber snapped into the phone, tearing at her hair in her exasperation. "If that's not severing our ties, I don't know what is!"

"He's either not educated about the side effects of suppressants or he just doesn't give a damn." Miri groaned. "Seriously? The actress and model Park Ha-Eun? That bitch is the most plastic Korean woman I've ever seen, not that I have a thing against plastic surgery. But the way her face is done...I bet if he fucked her mouth a little too hard he would be sending her straight to the ER."

"Miri, you're evil."

"And you're too nice. Ambs, screw JieMi. If he's not into soulmates, then screw him! You've got six other hot fish to catch. It's his loss."

"I don't know..." She sighed, rubbing her temples.

"Let me tell you. You and I both know that I have dated many men before Deok-Su, because I was stupid," Miri said. Amber snorted at that, a wry smile on her lips. There was a point in time when Miri was on her rebellious streak and started partaking in men like they were free buffet meals.

"And God, they were nothing compared to him. It's like comparing pagpag, you know the left-over meat picked from garbage dumps that are rewashed and sold in Manila? Yeah that. Compare that with grade A wagyu." Miri gave out a dramatic groan.

Miri continued on. "Maybe that's not a good analogy. Pagpag can taste pretty good if well cooked...Um, It's like asking a baby to teach you how climate change works versus getting taught by a hot scientist from the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. The kid would be cute, but you'll get nothing you need, just crap talk with lots of spittle."