See You Later, Alligator

Present Day

Alexander pulled away and we were both left breathless, panting as we struggled to collect ourselves. It was everything I hadn't let myself fully imagine, kissing him, my mate. A light smile graced my lips at the thought of it all.

"You're beautiful," He murmured before pressing his lips to mine once again. I melted against him, my fingers tangling in his dark hair. His strong hands gripped me tightly, one squeezing my waist while the other held the back of my neck, pulling me towards him.

A knock at the door interrupted us, and a rumbly chuckle left him as I growled at the door, and then at Conrad who stepped through it.

He grinned broadly at me, "Addie, I'm so happy for you."

I gave him a reluctant smile, "Thank you, Connie."

"Congratulations, then," He turned to Alexander, a rare warm smile on his face. Alexander nodded in thanks and acceptance, but he kept his arm firmly around me, fully staking his claim. Conrad continued, "And as much as I'd love to celebrate or allow you two to get to know each other even more, we still have a meeting going on downstairs."

That reminder of the situation startled me back to reality, and my happy face fell. The bodies. My name carved into them. Alexander's hand squeezed my arm before running up and down it, and I knew he was trying to reassure me that it wasn't my fault, that I couldn't blame myself.

"Let's go then," Alexander simply said, gripping my hand in his as we walked down the stairs together, Conrad leading us.

I'm proud of you, Connie's voice pierced my mind. You deserve everything, Addie. You deserve to find your happiness.

I took in a deep breath, not at all prepared for the large stirring of emotions his brief yet powerful mental speech would have on me, Thank you, Connie. Maybe once this is all over.

My pace slowed as we neared the conference hall door, the weight of Alexander's hand in mine suddenly unduly heavy. He noticed right away and pulled me towards him until we stopped, "You alright?"

Looking into his eyes, how open and soft they looked, I nearly forgot whatever my concern was. But then he squeezed my hand, and I remembered about the little demon clawing at the back of my mind, "We can't just go in there holding hands."

"Why not?"

"Because... what will everyone think?" I questioned, and then cringed slightly at how it sounded coming out of my mouth. I'd never really given a damn about what anyone thought of me, at least not complete strangers.

Alexander smiled, "If someone looks at us wrong, I'm sure you can come up with some creative insult to get them to turn away."

I nodded, "Of course, I can flay men alive with just my words."

"I look forward to it," He winked, before tugging me along and into the conference hall.

All eyes and heads turned toward us as we entered the room, though no one dared utter a word, not even a whisper. It seemed no one was willing to mess with us, or with Conrad. I supposed with my position in the Ravage Pack and now being mates to Alexander, it made me somewhat untouchable. And that was without my own merit and power, without them realizing just what a threat I am on my own.

Our hands finally drifted apart as I left to take my seat, and the room maintained its silence for several moments after we had both sat down. Conrad sat beside me, a smug and cruel smirk on her face. His mask was calculated, precise, and I knew it was meant to send a certain message to the other Alphas, that he had essentially earned himself a lifetime alliance with the Redwood Pack because of me. While it was true, I knew his smugness had more to do with the fact that I'd finally caved and given in to what I really wanted: Alexander.

My mate finally spoke up, "Let's continue with yesterday's agenda of brainstorming a plan of action to take against these bastards."

No one spoke. The tension in the room was tangible enough to have cut it with a knife, maybe even one of those flimsy little plastic ones.

"Taking all that we have learnt into consideration," The female Alpha across from me who had spoken the day before spoke up, "it is obvious that this hunter has an obsession with Adelaide. As much as some might be against it, I believe our best route of action may be using her to draw in the hunters, then launch a counterattack of our own."

"You want to use Adelaide as bait?" Alexander ground out, as snarls escaped from Conrad, Alan, and Jordan.

And before anyone could speak again, before some horrible fight broke out, I interrupted it all, "Yes." I agreed, nodding my head. I would do anything to take away at least part of the blame, the guilt of so many deaths that was eating me alive. "I'll do it."

-

It had taken another few hours to battle with Conrad, mind to mind, and with Alexander, Jordan, and Alan with only looks, but finally the group as a whole came up with a plan. In two weeks, on the full moon, I would go to the border alone and wait for the hunter to show up. I would then mind link as soon as I sensed him, which would then draw in the pack and anyone else who could spare people to fight. If the hunter showed up alone, we would capture him and find out exactly where he was hiding. If more showed, we'd kill him and everyone else, and still question the lone survivor for answers.

Alan sighed, frowning as he stood in front of me, "I still don't like this plan, Adelaide."

Jordan nodded his agreement, and I rolled my eyes at them, "It's a good plan, and it'll work. Besides, I don't mind being the bait."

"Of course you don't," Jordan said softly, alluding to so many things I didn't want to and couldn't touch on right now. So I threw them off completely as I reached up and hugged them both in a group hug. They both initially stiffened before throwing their arms back around me.

"Give a big hug to Mary Anne and Sami for me, yeah?"

They promised they would, and then they were leaving the Redwood Pack, just like every other Alpha and guest that had been here for the convocation. Only Conrad and I would remain, and we'd be moved to the pack house with Alexander tonight.

Speaking of the devil, he came up behind me, his arms pulling me back against his chest as he mumbled in my ear, "I still hate this plan."

Turning, I gave him an apologetic smile, "I know. But everyone agreed on it, for once, and it's the smartest option. You know it, too, you just hate that it's me."

He nodded, then silently tugged me up the four flights of steps. We bypassed the door to the room that Conrad and I had shared, and instead walked to the end of the hall, to the bedroom he had carried me to just the other night.

As soon as the door shuts behind us, his lips are on mine in a frenzy, his hands roaming all over my body and driving me absolutely out of my mind. I match his pace, having never felt so alive as I do right now.

Alexander trailed kisses from my lips to my jaw, and then down to my neck, until he sucked on an extra sensitive spot near the base. I could feel his canines scraping my skin and his grip tightened on my waist. He wanted to mark me, but was hesitating. Grabbing his face with both hands, I pulled him up to look me in the eyes.

"I want you, Alexander," I told him, "all of you."

His eyes darkened before he launched himself at me again, and this time, he held absolutely nothing back.