[ part two ]

| the in-between |

b i r t h d a y

"This is safe, right?"

Celeste finds herself laying on a medical table in the middle of the high tech lab in Avengers Tower, bracing herself to test the memory serum Bruce co-created less than a month ago.

Two years have passed since the battle of New York, and she never grew closer to uncovering her parents' secrets until Natasha released all of S.H.I.E.L.D's and HYDRA's files to the world. As it turns out, they've been covertly working with the cruel organization for years.

She cut ties with them immediately, but still found herself doing what she's always known - travelling constantly. The woman branched out to different countries, only returning to the United States when the Avengers found another HYDRA base to raid. Sometimes, Clint would join her on these expeditions. Other times, he would choose to stay in New York while she went away, though they remained in constant contact with one another.

Despite her attempts at keeping herself distracted from the ugly truth, Celeste still found herself with questions about the people that raised her; the most important one being how she really came into their custody in the first place. So, when Bruce contacted her with information about a serum that brings back forgotten memories, she found herself leaving Switzerland and telaporting back to New York City. Naturally, Clint arrived at the Tower not long after.

"Of course," Bruce reassures her, causing Clint and Celeste to simultaneously relax. "We've had a 100% success rate."

"Nevermind the fact that it's only been tested three times," Brielle, the other scientist responsible for the serum, adds as she picks up the syringe filled with the eggshell white liquid. "Ready?"

"As I'll ever be."

Celeste squeezes her eyes shut as the needle pierces her skin, only for her muscles to relax a matter of seconds afterwards, appearing as though she's asleep.

"How long will this take?" Clint questions, tucking a stray piece of blonde hair behind her ear.

"A few minutes or a few days," Bruce answers honestly. "We've had varying results."

"It depends on how much she's forgotten," Brielle adds, hoping to put the man at ease. "We'll monitor her closely and keep you updated if you'd like to leave while she's like this."

"I'm staying right here, if that okay."

Celeste opens her eyes, only for her gaze to be met with an all too familiar scene that's not the lab she's currently passed out in. The infamous red and white circus tent looms over her as the sun sets, countless pedestrians flowing into the open flap.

She bristles as someone walks directly through her, realizing she's not truly there.

"Walk faster, Sammy!" Celeste, a measley four years old, pleads, tugging on the hand of five year old Sam Wilson. Her blonde hair is pulled up in pig tails to make room for a cheap, plastic tiara that reads Birthday Girl, and her excitement emanates from her entire being. "I want to see the tigers!"

Sam gives in with a laugh, breaking into a run as they obliviously move through present day Celeste and into the tent. Their parents follow after them, moving quite a bit slower than their energetic children as Paul helps his severely pregnant wife, Darlene, amble along.

"Don't get too far ahead of us!" Darlene calls out, only for her voice to be drowned out by the cacophony of noises. Worry overcomes the woman as she loses sight of her children. "What if they get lost? Oh, Paul, let's move faster!"

"Calm down, dear. I can see them; they're heading towards the animals" he reassures her softly, squeezing her hand gently. "Let's find our seats so you can rest and then I'll get them, okay? It'd ruin Celeste's night if she didn't get to pet those tigers."

"Okay," Darlene concedes, not fully convinced. But her aching feet get the best of her. "But let's hurry."

Celeste stands in front of a man in a crazy costume, squeezing Sam's hand tightly as she listens in awe to him talk about the tiger he has on a leash. Sam, on the other hand, stands a few steps behind her, eyeing the large cat warily.

"Want to pet her?"

Celeste nods, pulling her hand out of Sam's and bounding up to the dangerous animal, squealing as her fingers brush it's exotic white and black fur. The tiger purs, leaning it's head towards her in an attempt to nuzzle her side.

Behind her, she barely registers a woman asking Sam if he'd rather go with her to pet the elephants.

"She likes you," the man compliments, causing Celeste's heart to swell happily. "Would you like to pet another one?"

She nods again, looking around for more. "Where are they?"

"In the back of the tent," he says, gesturing for her to follow. "We normally don't let people back there, but we can make an exception for birthday girls."

Celeste hesitates, an odd feeling settling in her gut. The man turns back, an agitated look flitting across his features.

"Mommy and Daddy will get mad if I go somewhere with a stranger."

"Want to hear a secret?" The man asks, adjusting the tiger's leash so he can squat down to be at her eye level. Celeste's eyes widen and she finds herself nodding along. "Your parents set it up for you as a surprise. So don't worry, they know what's going on."

"No!" Present day Celeste cries out, lunging for her younger self as she places her tiny hand in the man's - which, of course, does nothing to stop them.

"Tigers are my favorite animal in the whole wide world," the little girl rambles as they move through the crowd. "I asked Mommy if I could ask Santa to bring me one for Christmas, but she said no. So I named the stray cat that's always around our house Tiger! I love him more than anything. Except milkshakes. Milkshakes are really good. I like chocolate milkshakes, but Sammy likes vanilla. I wonder if tigers like milkshakes. Do you like-"

She cuts herself off as the man pulls back a curtain, revealing several more tigers in a large cage. She gasps, attempting to release his hand so she can get closer.

Except the man doesn't release his hold on her. Celeste squirms and looks up at him, prepared to tell him to let her go.

Before she can utter a word, a needle is slammed into her arm and her world goes black.