Chapter 22

Chapter 22

Ethan stepped out of his car in his navy fitted suit and pants, paired with an unbuttoned white shirt showing a glimpse of his well-defined broad chest. He rang the doorbell and waited till the door opened. Audrey stood in her maroon wide off shoulder, straight neckline, tea-length dress. The dress fitted her curves perfectly with a slight slit up to a few inches above her left knee. Her hair was tied in a sleek side bun, with few untamed hair falling messily at the sides. She wore a nude pointed heels and gold clutch with classic make up look.

"You look... exquisite, Miss chef." He tilted his head looking at her.

"You don't look so bad yourself, Mr Loyd." She replied stepping out into the pathway.

"For the beautiful lady." He took out a stalk of lavender rose from his back and handed to her.

"How sweet, thank you. Does your assistant always prepare a lavender rose for each of your date, sir?" She teased inhaling the scent of the rose.

"You know me so well, but usually it was a bouquet of random flowers whereas for you, just a stalk of lavender rose, since you might be bored with a bouquet, Miss Bouquet." He teased.

"Only a single rose, Mr Loyd? Are you being stingy on me?" She responded back teasing him.

"Do you know what is the meaning of a lavender rose, Miss chef?" He asked looking at her hazel eyes which looked more green as he noticed.

"No, what does it mean?"

"That is for me to know, and for you to find out." He chuckled opening the door to his Bugatti Divo.

"You're frustrating. New car?" She asked stepping inside the luxurious of black and blue interior.

"I bought it last spring. Only taking it out on special occasions." He sat on the driver's seat and smirked glancing towards her. They drove and parked at an upscale classy Chinese restaurant. They went inside the restaurant and was greeted by the manager. He showed them to their seat, secluded in a dimmed private room with a wide glass aquarium that covered the whole side of the wall with diverse tiny fishes swimming across.

"I hope you like Chinese food. I figured you ought to be wearied of cooking Western food daily." He said and she admitted.

"Loyd 先生,你好. 好久不见啊" The waiter walked in and spoke to Ethan in Chinese and they continued conversing leaving a stunned Audrey listening to them speaking a foreign language fluently.

(Hello Mr Loyd, It's been a long time we haven't seen you.)

"You can speak Chinese? Can you read the words as well? It's an abstruse language. Can you teach me a few words?" She said in amazement. The night went on as they went on talking and occasionally teasing each other. He explained answering her question how he started to take over his father's company gradually and how he managed to branch and expanded the corporation. Deep down, he thought on the obstacles that he had to went through to be where he is now. It took him a very long time to comprehend the pressure of running a big corporation. He dealt with various deceitful, deceptive and canny businessmen. His father had taught and prepared him most of the things that he needed to know about business since he was a child, in fact his father had taught him too well for a child to learn. He relived those unpleasant memories when his father would told him to finish his dinner and then caned him for skipping school that morning while he could only stood there feeling numb. Audrey shared on what made her change her business direction and told him about her grandmother. She loved her grandmother dearly and prayed that she could live a long and healthy life. She remembered how her grandmother would always defended and advised her since she was young.

"I spoke with my attorney this morning and they have filed a lawsuit against James, and the lawsuit against us has been dismissed. However, the FDA might need to ensure and monitor you for the time being before they fully dismissed the case. Regardless, you are clear, Miss chef." He explained as he held his car door opened for her to step out.

"Don't complain when I say this again. Thank you so much, Ethan. You have no idea how much this means to me." She thank him wholeheartedly and stepped onto her front porch. Then turned to thank him for the amazing food and the wonderful night when he stepped onto the porch standing closely to her. She looked up to face him, who was still a few inches taller even after aiding her height with a pair of three inch heel. Feeling safe and serene at his presence now that she got to know more about him. She looked at his charming chiselled face and could smell his fresh masculine cologne from her distance which instantly diminished her self-confidence.

"You're really beautiful, Audrey." He said staring intently at her bewitching hazel eyes and smug knowing that his comment made her blush on her pallid and clear skin. He took another small step closing the distance between them and lifted his right hand to caress her left cheek, making her blush even more. Her heart was thumping loudly making her feeling slightly light headed.

"Can I kiss you, Audrey?" He asked and leaned much closer looking between her luscious lips and her enchanting eyes. She parted her lips vaguely without a reply as he lowered his head slowly moving his hands behind her ears and his lips brushed hers softly and delicately as if confirming her consent. Her eyelids closed as she parted her lips further allowing him to deepen the kiss while he caressed her cheeks with his thumb and his left hand moved to the back of her waist pulling her close to his hard body. She slowly lift both her hands up and placed them behind his neck gently embracing their first kiss. The deep kiss slowed as they slowly and delicately pulled away from the kiss.

"Goodnight, Audrey." He said leaving a tender kiss on her cheeks.

"Goodnight, Ethan." She replied biting her lower lips and walked inside the house. He waited till she closed the door being a gentleman as he is and then walked back to his car, troubled. He was not supposed to fall for any woman, but for the first time in his life, did he just felt a slight tingling in his heart as their kissed?