Chapter 24

Woohooo!!! We got #1 in #chef category which really got me ecstatic!!! Thank you so much for your support. Do vote and comment on this chapter and tell me what you think. Xoxo.

=============

Chapter 24

Audrey was wrapped in her ivory wool shawl over a white t-shirt and jeans that her housemate has brought for her with a few toiletries. She had not went home since she arrived and it has been two days. She stood by the end of the waiting room looking out the window towards the swaying trees holding a hot café latte and let out a long weary sigh. She reminisced when she was around twelve years old sitting down on her bedroom floor facing the full length mirror. Her grandmother was doing double French braid on her long wavy hair telling her stories on how she met her grandfather. She remembered clearly the things her grandmother advised her on life. Then, she felt an arm wrapped around her shoulder and looked up in surprise.

"Ethan! What are you doing here?" She asked in surprise.

"I called and sent you messages, Audrey. Then Ava told me about your grandmother." He explained, concerned looking at her tired eyes and pale skin.

"I'm sorry my battery went flat and I forgot to tell Ava to bring a charger." She replied.

"You're not eating well, Audrey. You need to be healthy if you want to be here. Let's get you lunch." He said as his hand caressed her soft cheeks and then took her hands towards the cafeteria. They ate lunch in silence letting her be lost in her own thoughts again while he studied her.

"Did you even get some sleep, Audrey? You look exhausted." He commented, disgruntled by her strained face. She denied by saying that she tried to rest as much as she can. They chatted for a few more minutes before heading back to the ICU room. Fear crawled in as soon as they stepped out of the elevator and she saw doctor and nurses rushing towards the room her grandmother was in. Her mother paced back and forth outside the room while her father was sitting on the bench with her brother.

"What happened!" She demanded and looked at her mother who did not seem to hear the question then to her father who looked pallid and finally to her brother.

"Her heart rate was dangerously low as well as her blood pressure." Her brother answered just as the doctor stepped out of the room witha look of  disappointment plastered on his face. Her heart raced dreading the upcoming news that the doctor might dropped.

"We did our best but we were unable to revive her heartbeat. I'm sorry, Mrs Bouquet had died...." Audrey was unable to hear what the doctor said next and fell on the seat beside her. Mamie died. Mamie died. Mamie is... gone... She repeated the same words again and again in her mind, trying to grasp the reality that her grandmother had died. She did not believe it. She needed to see her. She went into the quiet room and saw her lifeless body lying on the hospital bed. The tubes and wires were taken off of her. She looked serene, like she was sleeping, so peaceful and still, too still. She walked closer to her bed, her hands trembling, reaching out to her warm hands. She whispered for her to wake up, quivering in her words. Her grandmother kept quiet which forcefully snap her back to reality that her grandmother had died. She started to shake running out of the room as tears started to pour down her cheeks that she did not know she was holding. She wept for the loss of her beloved family and friend. She covered her face with trembling hands and continued to whimper quietly but her heart ached deeply. She felt her quivering body being held strongly and comfortably as she noticed Ethan trying to give her comfort. He did not know what to say or do but was tormented to see her anguished. She opened her arms and welcomed his comfort as she continued to sob.

Ethan expressed his condolences to her parents and brother as they sat outside the room. Her brother took care of the paperwork and they prepared the funeral for their grandmother. Her parents were still in shock and knowing that they would have to go home without her grandmother today. Her parents and brother told her to go home to get some rest after staying for days by her grandmother's side and be ready for the funeral tomorrow. Her parents and brother left leaving Audrey with Ethan. They walked towards the parking lot in silence while he called his driver.

"Ava is... out of town and... I don't really want to be alone tonight... Do you... mind..." She trailed sheepishly clueless how to finish her question when he looked at her knowing that she needed company, so he simply agreed. They were heading to his place as he explained that he needed to finish some work which needed to be done tonight. He looked to his side to see Audrey staring out the window blankly. He took her cold hands in his and gave her a comforting smile. She returned the gesture with a sad smile and thanked him. The car halted in front of the grand building and they stepped into the Loyd Hotel.