~ 19 ~

~ Chapter Nineteen ~

As the following morning came around, I felt like an ant being studied with an eyeglass. I sat with Ruby, picking at my breakfast, as I sensed everyone's stare directed towards me. They were at a loss for words, as was I, about last night.

I didn't expect last night to turn out the way it did. Eight men had offered themselves to me. But only to compete against the strongest men; Kaene and Zander. However, they were only able to go against one opponent last night. Meaning that four men that I didn't know died. Zander had quickly finished his opponent, whereas the other men struggled, or toyed, with their designated fighting partner. It was disturbing to watch. So I had kept my eyes on the ground, seeing how everyone watched the matches as if it were some kind of sport.

The night had come to its end when the final pair finished their battle and only one remained alive. That happened close to dawn, where one of the two moons were slowly disappearing. Xenon had said that the fight for me would continue the next time we have a full moon. It would give the remaining four men time to heal any wounds they might have obtained during the fight.

So Xenon announced four names, the winners. And I went straight to my room. I curled myself into a fetal position on the bed, as I thought about my predicament. It wasn't a wise decision because it didn't help at all. I wanted to calm down and think of something, an escape of some sort from this madness. But I only managed to cry and keep myself awake due to my anxiety.

I had almost forgotten with whom I've been living with. Dragons. Dragons who kill each other for power and earning themselves a female trophy. I should have known that monsters would be monsters. I never should have stayed. I should have ran away when I had a chance.

Now it's too late.

I watch Ruby eat calmly, ignoring all the people around us. I know she only helped me around here because she was told to do so by Libelle. However, I grew fond of the moments we had together. I view her as a potential close friend. She's different than everyone by treating me like I'm a part of their world.

Including now.

She looks at me and smiles all giddily. "So who are you hoping to get as a mate?"

I tuck my hair behind my ear as a nervous gesture. "I don't know. The whole thing took me by surprise. I'm actually shaken by it."

Ruby's smile drops a bit. "What do you mean? Are you unhappy with the men who volunteered?"

"It's not about the men, Ruby. It's about the fact that these men are fighting to their deaths in order to obtain me. It's ridi-"

"Don't finish that sentence." The words came from behind me, scaring me mid sentence.

I turned and saw Kaene and Zander towering over me. However, the one who was doing the talking was Kaene. This time they both wore somewhat regular clothes. They wore a loose white shirt with a pair of green pants. The style of their clothing reminded me of older times. I wonder if Libelle influenced everyone. Although, ball gowns are something she definitely left out.

"Kaida, follow me. We need to talk."

I gave an annoyed look to Ruby as she wiggled her eyebrows suggestively at me. I wonder if she knows the meaning of the middle finger because I would like to flick mine at her. And not just her, but to Kaene as well because he demanded my presence instead of asking nicely.

I pushed myself up and followed behind the guys silently. Their new outfits were loose on them, therefore their muscles weren't on display for me. A bummer because I need some eye candy before dealing with whatever these two want to say to me.

I noticed that we were heading towards the forest. A place I'm hesitant about eversince I overheard Tiana's mate say something about weird creatures roaming around.

I looked behind me and saw how most of the women outside focused their, envy filled, gaze on us. Or more specifically, me. Whereas the men only watched us with curiosity. All this attention I'm receiving is bothersome. I liked it when everyone barely looked and spoke to me. I was a nobody who only did what I was told to do. It was simple because no one cared enough to be jealous of me or show any other types of concerns. Now I feel like I would be judged. Up until we all find out who the last man standing will be.

After walking far away from everyone, a little deeper into the forest, we all came to a stop. Kaene crossed his arms as he came closer. He stopped just a few feet away from me. Whereas, Zander stayed far away, leaning against a tree calmly.

"What do you want?" I asked Kaene, hoping I sounded brave and strong. Keeping up the facade that I'm not deterred by this sudden meeting.

"I am not the one who wants anything from you. I already have my eyes set on someone else."

"Then why did you volunteer as a potential mate?" If he didn't want me then why even fight for me? This man is all kinds of messed up.

Kaene let out an exasperated breathe while he dropped his arms. "To help myself. I want to become the next Dragon Chief. And I need a woman by my side to encourage the others that I am fully committed into further expanding our species."

"Then why me? Why didn't you accept the other girl's request for a mate. You denied her."

He pinched the bridge of his nose. I noticed Zander smiling, trying to hide his laughter. He was enjoying this. Watching his friend get frustrated and containing himself from lashing out at me.

For a moment I was awestruck by his smile. He had a cute smile. One that I can easily fall for. I need to be careful of these handsome men around me. I'm not ready to fully lose myself to this life of theirs. To be dependent emotionally.

"Because you don't like me. Therefore, you won't demand more of me." Kaene said like it was fact.

Which it was.

"Then what about the person you like. Why not ask her to be your mate and live happily ever after?"

"Because the person I want is.. Taken per say." He grumbled angrily as he thought about his crush.

How sad. Even a big bad dragon like him can feel heartache. I wonder who this woman is. If she's taken that means that she's mated, so Kaene doesn't have a chance with her at all. Poor guy. I kinda feel bad, but at the same time I don't care. I still don't like the dude.

I turned away from Kaene and walked closer to Zander. "And why did you volunteer?"

He pushed away from the tree and stared down at me, while I had to tilt my head back to stare back at him.

"I actually finding you interesting. Enough to have you as my mate."

I blushed. Is he hitting on me? Man this guy barely says anything. Yet when he does, they are the words that make me want to melt.

But I squared my shoulders and asked, "How am I interesting?"

"Not sure yet. Anyway, we hope that you know that either Kaene or I will be the only one standing. And you're okay with it."

I looked at both of them. Kaene just wants a better image for himself in order to obtain what he wants. I know I won't demand things of him. But will he?

Zander, on the other hand, is mysterious and doesn't really know why he wants me. And that unknown is scary because who knows what kind of life we would have together. A good or a bad one? Will this unknown lead towards love or regret?

I obviously am scared of what I could have with Zander. I would actually feel better with Kaene because I would know what I'm getting myself into. However, I know for certain that these two would be my better bet compared to any other man fighting for me.

So I looked at them and nodded. "Yea, I wouldn't mind. One of you two would be better than any of the other guys."

*** *** *** *** *** ***

A/N

Posted: 9/16/19

I wonder who Kaene's mysterious crush is 🤔.

Comment. Vote. & Share!