Chapter One

NOVA LEE STATMAN WAS USED TO BAD BEGINNINGS. After all, she did meet her best friend at the graveyard her mother was buried in. This cemetery was miles away from her home in New York City, so far away from the city that she hardly got cell service. But that is what her mother wanted. Somewhere beautiful and quiet that she could rest.

It wasn't supposed to be that way though, planning her mother's funeral when she was just twenty-two was not what she expected. But there were risks when living so close to the city. It may seem beautiful to those who have not seen the darkness within it. Crime surrounded the city and you'd be caught dead trying to wander through it at night.

Nova couldn't help but hear the gunshots booming through the sky that reminded her of the night her mother was killed. She worked a late shift and took the wrong street home. It cost her her life. Where were the earth's mighty heroes then? You hear all the stories of the Avengers saving lives but you never witness it yourself. In Nova's eyes, they were not heroes at all. Just the world's way of feeling protected when in reality the only thing you could count on was yourself.

Ever since the accident, the girl lived on her own in an apartment blocks away from where her mother was killed. She stayed in most days and definitely did not wander about at night. She was easily frightened by loud noises as if each time she heard a boom the moment replayed. That night she curled up into bed making sure to draw the blinds. A sharp light crackled through the sky making her jump. Thunder made her body shake. Thunder kept her awake at night.

Nova was used to bad beginnings but this new beginning was not what she had in mind.