Chapter Three

THOR LOOKED AT THE WOMEN WITH CURIOSITY.  Her lips parted slightly as if she couldn't find the words to say. Her dark eyes held a worried look as she shivered in the God's arms. Captain America turned away from them speaking slowly into his earpiece.

"Stark we got a problem," he muttered glancing at the falling city.

"This better be good Cap, I'm a little busy saving everyone's ass," Tony replied in a cocky tone.

Steve turned back to Thor temporarily, letting out a large sigh, "what's your grand plan, Thor?" 

Thor looked back at the girl noticing her eyes struggling to stay open. Her leg had a large gash on it and her cheeks remained drained of color. "We mustn't leave her in this state, she will not survive," the God responded finally looking up at Steve, "This is my doing."

"Cap? What is the problem?" Tony called again as Steve touched his hand against his earpiece. Captain America bit his lip in thought trying to decide on the proper response. "We have a woman injured here, she was knocked into the river from the impact of falling debris. She's not looking so good-"

"Really?" Tony interrupted with annoyance, "that's what the damn hospitals are for, soldier. A bomb is going to be dropped on the city in two minutes, I'm going to need all hands on deck if we are going to shut this portal down. So flag down a police officer for the girl and get your asses back into battle."

Thor ignored the conversation as he looked back at Nova, "we are going to get you out of here," he muttered attempting to rub her lower back to ease her shaking frame.

Nova instantly shook her head, her words coming out in sections, "no- I'm going home. I'm just- just going to go home." Thor's eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

"She's not going to have a home to go back to if we don't stop this, Tony's about to do something stupid I have to go find the others," Steve said in a hurry as he picked up his shield, "If you want her to live, get her away from the city."

Thor nodded as Steve headed in the direction of the explosions. He felt responsible for harming the fragile human, he couldn't just leave her. Nova let out a soft cry as the God lifted her body from the ground. She was in a daze, her mind slipping consciousness now and then. As Thor lifted her, he noticed a figure flying toward the portal in the sky. Chitauri began to crowd around them as Thor grunted lifting his hammer. He began to swing it as he took off into the air hitting aliens on the way up.

Nova's mind wandered as her body failed to wake back up. She continued to feel tingles running through her chest. She remembered getting trapped underneath a scrap of metal. She could recall blurry lights before her body was surrounded by cold water. She heard thunder and she felt lightning on her fingertips as if she had been hit. The image of the two men snuck into her head. She couldn't believe it didn't connect before. Those men were a part of the team created to save the world, the earth's mightiest heroes had found her.

Anyone else would've been thrilled to be saved by these men, hell even to be noticed could've made a grown man joyful. But Nova couldn't help but feel panic running through her veins. Every part of her body wanted her to run back home, close the blinds, and pray her ears never had to hear the sound of terror again. But something in Nova's heartfelt opposed.

As Nova lay lifeless in the God's arms she dreamt of her mother. And she wished for nothing else but the noise around her to stop.