Bucky Barnes x Reader

You thought maybe it was the way his eyes blended so perfectly against the sun, shining as if it were the perfect cerulean glass. Or the way his lips tipped into a smirk whenever he laughed. But it was also the way you saw past the distant exterior that he put up everyday. Perhaps, it was the way your skin tingled at his touch.

Either way, it was clear that you liked James Buchanan Barnes.

During the day, when you weren't out busy getting shot out, you found yourself constantly looking at Bucky, falling in love with every detail of his face. His laugh, his voice. Just him in general.

"I don't like Bucky," You told Wanda and Natasha as the three of you decided that it was a perfect day to have a girls' day. Somehow, the topics of you conversation landed on your crush on Bucky. This time, they didn't believe your attempts on denying it.

"Oh, please," Wanda scoffed. "I see you drooling when you stare at him from across the room."

"I do not drool over him!" You shot back, heat creeping up your cheeks. Embarrassment settled at the pit of your stomach. You couldn't bare to look at the girls so you cast your eyes to the floor.

"Yes, you do, sweetheart." Natasha pointed out. "If you weren't so adorable, I'd say that it was disgusting."

"Oh!" Wanda jumped up immediately, startling you for a bit. "You have to ask him out, Y/N. He totally likes you."

A soft sigh emanated from your lips. "How I wish."

Natasha paused in the midst of painting her fingernails, she looked straight into your eyes. "Who are you and what have you done to my precious Y/N?"

"What?" You felt the crease in your eyebrows furrowing. The nervousness grew in your stomach feverishly.

"The Y/N I know would never put herself down like that." Wanda piped in with a toothy smile. "Because the Y/N I know, is absolutely badass."

"Not to mention incredibly beautiful, smart, and strong." Nat said, warming your heart to no extent.

"How would you even know he likes me?" You said, lowering your voice just in case the teasing began.

A scoff came from Wanda, "Are we going to ignore the fact that I'm a mind reader?"

A little flutter went to your heart. She did have a point. But you refused to let go of the doubt circling your mind. After a few seconds you exhaled a breath, "Alright. I'll ask him."

Claps and hollers echoed from the room. Eventually, you had to throw a pillow at them to shut their mouths. You couldn't risk anyone hearing you.

"That's my girl." Natasha sent you a smile before returning to her nail polish. "Now go get your man."

"Because I really don't want to live for the rest of my life listening to you mope about how you didn't ask him out." Wanda said with a giggled.

Before you could say something else. Something had pushed you out of the door. A red mist surrounded you before slowly disappearing.

You stared at the empty hallway, desperately trying to calm your erratic nerves. Your heart was beating heavily as if it would burst out of your chest any moment now.

The thought of staying put in front of your bedroom door did seem quite alright. You knew that the rejection would bring a lot of pain. It was ironic how an Avenger who could withstand hours of torture was afraid of heartbreak.

You accepted long ago that you'd rather let Bucky play with your heart and love him from afar than him breaking your heart and be despised by him.

You took a step towards Bucky's room, which coincidentally was three minutes away from yours. Within the first few steps, confidence was your friend. And with a chin held high, you kept telling yourself, I can do this.