23. IMMUNITY

CHAPTER TWENTY THREE
[IMMUNITY]

He'd been staring up at the ceiling for an hour

As the world turned, his heart would skip a beat. Hearing the breathing of the girl beside him, he grew more anxious that, she too, would wake up feeling different.

His mind was running one hundred miles per hour, just feeling what felt like sensitivity.

And he kept thinking about Luke, and the look on Jo's face when he found his body. And how he just did that. How he just— carelessly, and selfishly, took Luke's life.

He felt his body fill with this unmeasurable feeling of sadness, and he couldn't get rid of it.

Yet he still felt himself. He still felt pride from taking Luke's life, and he'd finally gotten what he wanted.

He felt full, as magic surged through his vein on a constant thread. Normal witches wouldn't understand the feeling of magic in your body, since they've never been without it— but it was the best feeling.

Molly shifted in bed and Kai's thoughts were redirected onto her. Her hair fell onto her face as she turned over to face him in her sleep. Kai gently waved his hand in front of her face, and a soft breeze lifted her hair to reveal her, still fast asleep.

He admired her pale skin. And her pink-red cheeks. And her naturally long eyelashes. And the way he could see her eyes move around under her eyelids as she dreamt. And they way her lips parted— just barely— when she exhaled.

And the fixation he has with Molly felt so strange. It was not an obsession, or a chase, or a need for something he couldn't have, it was something else.

And he felt sad again; for feeling that way about her. Because he knew he didn't deserve her.

As hard as those emotions tried to poke through— he just shoved them back down. He couldn't let her go, and he didn't care if it was selfish. It was for her best interest. Not his. Not his.

Her eyes began to slowly blink open, and he panicked. For the first time in his life, he didn't know what to say, or do.

So he just vanished.

Molly stepped down the stairs of the Salvatore house behind Stefan. "Are you sure?" He asks, as he comes to stop in front of a big wooden door in the basement.

Molly nods hesitantly. He waits for her to change her mind before pushing the door open to reveal a huge wolfsbane bush in the middle of the small chamber. She scrunched her nose up at the smell as Stefan walked towards the plant.

He began to pluck off the wolfsbane flowers one at a time and Molly observed. "My uncle Zach used to grow all of this stuff." He says. "No one's really been managing it since he died."