New Years

It's December 31st 2014, new year's eve. I'm sat on the floor of my bedroom in front of the oversized mirror that was balanced in front of the mattress.

I fiddled around with my fringe for a good 3 minutes, trying to get it to stay styled before huffing and giving up.

The bathroom door is still locked, footsteps pacing creep out from under the door and I roll my eyes before getting up off the floor and walking towards it. Knocking once, knocking twice and getting no reply "Matty, we're going to be late if you don't hurry!" I say through the door.

A clearing of a throat echoes back "Uh gimme a sec, we'll be on time" he croaks back. I sigh and walk to the living room, throwing myself on the sofa and texting Ross letting him know we'll be late.

20 minutes later, Matty finally makes an appearance. His overgrown head of curls comes into my line of vision, he repeatedly drags his hands down his tight jeans in agitation before nodding at me.

He grabs his infamous leather jacket without a word and walks to the front door of the flat, barely waiting for me to catch up.

"Why're you walking so fast? Could at least act like you want to be seen with me" I joke.

Matty stops in his step, turning towards me and holds out his hand. "M'sorry, course I want to be seen with you Muse. Just don't want to be late otherwise George won't cut us slack" he says, stopping after every few words to try and catch his breath.

I notice this but don't say anything, just take his hand and fall into step with him. I enjoyed moments like this, he was very rarely in a touchy mood anymore so feeling close was nice.

The two of us soon arrive at George's flat, Drake blaring through the single glazed windows of his shoddy London building.

"Just going for a piss, save us a space Love?" Matty shouts over the music.

George spots me, him and Caroline coming over to greet me both pulling me into a group hug. I giggle at them, falling into conversation easily.

Half an hour had passed and Matty still wasn't back from the bathroom, I decide to get up and look for him when I hear a group of people laugh and then immediately someone call for help.

I make my way over to the group, weaving in between people to see Matty leaning on the kitchen counter laughing his head off. Blood dripping down his face and onto his white t-shirt, soaking it, he didn't seem to care though.

"What the hell?" I shout in confusion.

Matty stops laughing when he spots me, his hand making its way to prod at my nose when I step towards him "This is my girlfriend everyone, isn't she pretty?" he giggles.

"What happened? Why're you bleeding so much?"

A girl I recognised as one of Caroline's friends spoke up "Alex was talking and swung his arm around without realising he was there and the bottle hit him in the face."

Alex, I assume stood forward in a panic "Mate I'm really sorry, I didn't mean too glass you. D'ya need me to take you to A&E? Anything at all, I'm sorry."

Matty just shakes his head slowly "Buddy, it's fine. Can't even feel it" He starts to move off the counter and falls into my arms.

In all the commotion Ross had made his way over, he helps me carry Matty to the bathroom where I get to cleaning up his face.

"How the hell does this not hurt you? You've got glass all in your fucking cheek Matty" I cringe.

It takes him a few moments to reply "Dunno, it'll soon heal don't worry your pretty little head" He says, patting the top of my head before concentrating on his breathing which had slowed down.

"Ok well I think we should go home, you need to rest and I probably need to stitch it which are at home. C'mon babe" I say.

Matty frowns "I wanna have fun, I feel so good Bea can we just stay? I'll be fine. It's new years innit?"

"I don't know what you're on, never do because you think I'm stupid and don't notice but I do. Probably strong if you can't feel that pain, so be fucking safe cause I can't lose you."

He leans forward and connects our lips "It shuts the voices up, don't worry. M'good, best I've ever felt! Won't lose me, never."