Realizations (Khrystyll)

Word Count- 4,082

It was awe-inspiring, but ultimately expected, when all active Avengers showed up in a press conference organized by Stark Industries. It was meant to serve as an avenue for them to address remaining public concerns regarding safety after the defeat of Thanos, as well as the re-acceptance of former fugitive Avengers who were all completely and unconditionally pardoned after the battle.

To everyone's surprise, the Avengers also used this chance to introduce their newest and youngest member to the public. And to the people's further shock, Peter Parker publicly introduced himself to the world as Spider-Man.

It has been three months since.

Flash got out of the car as he was dropped off in front of the school. Slinging a strap of his backpack over his shoulders, he walked to the building and down the hallway with a swagger. He stopped in front of his locker and was grabbing the books he needed for the day when he hears the beginnings of a now-familiar morning scene.

"Parker's here!"

"It's Spider-Man!"

This kind of fuss occurs every day whenever Peter Parker arrives at school in the morning, or when he passes by the halls. People give space for Peter and his buddy Ned to pass, but they continue to whisper loudly among themselves and don't even bother to hide the fact that they're staring at Peter.

If Peter never caught anyone's attention as the smartest kid in school before, then he definitely did now. If not because he's also Spider-Man, then perhaps because of the way people just stop and stare and talk about him wherever he goes ever since the big reveal.

Peter arrived at his locker with his best friend in tow. They're talking about LEGOs again. Flash never really understood how they never get bored of LEGOs. They all look the same to him. He got out everything he needed from his locker and was about to walk to his first class when Peter caught his eye. He receives a small closed-mouth smile, and Flash gives a barely noticeable nod of acknowledgment in return before he continues on his way.

The Spider-Man revelation was not only a bucket of ice-cold water over Flash's head, it also turned their interactions completely and utterly awkward. How does one act when the boy you've bullied for years turns out to be the hero you idolize?

It was a difficult truth to accept, but one he also could not deny. It explained a lot of things — Peter's absences and tardiness, Spider-Man being there at the Washington Monument, that big mess with Liz's dad. And after the fact, he'd noticed that Peter slept in class more often whenever Spider-Man was reported to have been out the night before.

The first day back at school after that press conference was a disaster. Peter had to leave almost immediately after he arrived because the press was all over the school like vultures, and even after he got past that, the students gathered around him and bombarded him with questions. It took Tony Stark himself threatening the press before they got off Peter's back, and the principal had to dole out punishments just to get the students to relearn what it means to respect someone's privacy.

To be honest, Flash was thankful he didn't have to face Peter that day. He was expecting snarky comments, a few threats, or even just a smirk. But they never came. For some reason, Peter never shoved the fact in Flash's face, even if he would admittedly deserve it. In hindsight, of course not because this is Peter Parker. He never wants to fight, never wants to antagonize everyone, always such a goody-two-shoes. Spider-Man has been around a while. Which means Peter Parker could have definitely fought back before. He didn't then. He wouldn't now.

It was a week before Peter and Flash encountered each other again. Flash just stiffened in place when they made eye contact. Peter seemed just as uncomfortable as he was, and they both ended up facing their lockers, ignoring each other. All the while they both knew with certainty that the other was just as conscious of their presence.