One Life

"In that life, I never married nor even met you, Casey. Instead, I was married to the Dalriada heir, Triton. I was so hopelessly head-over-heels for him that I did and gave him whatever he asked.

I fought for him. I slayed his enemies. I sold my soul to the devil and became a demon all for him. I married him to be his strongest pillar of support against those who didn't believe in him.

And then, on this war I cannot remember with whom, I met this man. He was the king of his kingdom and he took fancy in me."

...

"Here, your majesty." A soldier came into her tent, which she barely used, and placed her share of the ration on the table before quickly fleeing.

They never felt comfortable with her presence. But they needed her talent and strength as well as the Dragon's power, so they had to grin and bear with their set up.

Adira, having finished unhooking her armor off her petite body barely holding up, turned a brief glance at the soldier's back, who was gone as quickly as he came, and sighed.

Silently, she picked up her tray and went out to somehow share a meal with Heise. Also, to make sure he was getting enough meal to eat especially since he was a growing dragon.

When the moment she swiped the tent's curtains away, she suddenly heard a soldier say,

"She's as stuck up as ever. Always looking at us condescendingly like she's so almighty!

She can only swing the sword a little bit better than us. And if she didn't have that big ass dragon under her, she wouldn't be as powerful!"

"You shouldn't say that. She's already poor as she is. Even though she's the Queen, his majesty, King Triton, still sent her to the front lines."

"I also heard the king is planning to take Lady Latifolia as a concubine. Poor her, even though she should've been the Queen. Now, she has to settle as the concubine because his majesty needed the power of the Queen's family."

Adira, hearing enough, decided to shut them out and ignore their words before turning to walk towards where Heise was kept.

It wasn't far enough to her tent but she was staying a bit too far away from the troops.

When the Dragon noticed her coming, he had this worried and pained look in his eyes. It was like he felt heartbroken for her. Like he could feel her pain and wanted to console her.

So she smiled brightly at him before settling down beside him. She had this thought that maybe the Dragon heard what the soldiers were gossiping about.

"Don't listen to them. They don't know what they're saying. Triton loves me so much that he even tried to stop me from coming here. But I did because I want to protect him and the kingdom that he rules."

She spoke to this intelligent dragon and comforted him instead. But even as she said those words, she knew that they were nothing but empty lies.

She knew very well how shaky her position as the Queen was—even her position as the wife was being hewed as well. She can only comfort herself with these lies that have become her truth solely on the basis that it was her Triton married in the end and not Iris.

The dragon whined sorrowfully and nudged his large head at her, trying to cheer her up. But even if she laughed merrily, they both knew that there was not a shred of happiness in there.

...

Dawn rolled in and the fighting resumed. Adira was still at the forefront, leading the army, when their foe's commander finally came forward to face her himself.