f i f t y n i n e

IT'S BEEN ALMOST three weeks since I moved into Arlington

IT'S BEEN ALMOST three weeks since I moved into Arlington. Three weeks since I moved away from the life I once knew. And three weeks since I moved away from the guy I loved. To say I was depressed would be a fucking understatement. I haven't been able to sleep properly; my body was actually aching from the lack of Chase's touch. I haven't been able to eat, to swim or even have enough strength to breathe. 

After I had punched Chase behind the library, he hasn't tried to contact me since. I mean, I was glad but it also hurt so damn much.  I've seen him with other girls, laughing and smiling, and everytime it's a sucker punch to my stomach. He's allowed to do that, I tell myself, he's safe; that's all that matters. I sit on the other side of the room from Vera in English Lit, I don't even so much as glance at Penn in art, and I've skipped my group therapy sessions all together. 

It was fucking hard. But it was worth it. 

Come Tuesday morning when I was planning on staying in my bed all day, Lilith somehow convinced me to eat breakfast in the dining hall. It was later in the morning and I had thought the dining hall would've been empty; but boy was I fucking wrong. 

"They're looking over here." Lilith comments as I glance up from my bowl of oatmeal. I follow Lilith's gaze across the large room to see five of them staring over; Vera, Penn, Noah, Levi and Emmaline. Everyone except Chase. His back was to me and I watch as Vera says something and his shoulders tense.  They were eating their breakfast together; something we all used to do. The chair I use to sit in was empty. 

Noah waves his hand at me with a big smile and I ignore it, my gaze moving back to my Oatmeal. 

"Still not going to tell me what happened?" Lilith questions as I look up at her. She wore a yellow bandana around her head while a messy bun sat on top of her head and a pair of gold rimmed glasses perched on her button nose. She was really cute...well, if it wasn't for the slightly murderous comments that escape her brain from time to time. She sighs at my silence, "Look, I've been patient but I keep getting harassed by people asking me. I mean, don't get me wrong I enjoy the popularity but—"

"I can't tell you." I explain as I drop my spoon, the sound making a loud cacophony, "That's just it, Lillith, I can't tell you." 

She pauses and leans forward, "Are...are they threating you or something?" 

It wasn't them. 

"No. Of course not." I shake and laugh lightly to brush it off, "It's just...I'll tell you later okay?" 

"You promise?" Lilith questions as she offers me her pinky. I smile slightly and link my pinky with hers. 

"I promise." 

Lilith, now happy, goes back to eating her toasted croissants which were stacked high on her plate. I sort at her as I continue to play with my oatmeal. My eyes slowly move back over to the table just in time to see three girls rush over. They were all smiling down at Chase and begin talking to him. The most animated of the trio takes the empty chair; my chair.